Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have had 5 UTIs. I had a scope that revealed an irritated

I have had 5 UTIs. I had a scope that revealed an irritated bladder. Ultrasounds showed nothing. I had an excruciating pain in my left side and wound up in hospital. They gave me something for the pain. It still is there but only nagging not killer pain. I had an cat scan last Tuesday but no results yet. When I walk I bleed. The more I walk the more I bleed to the point the toilet is full of red blood when I pee.

I have stopped all things bad for me in the last week ( except I ate 3 small peaches). The pain is lessening and as long as I do not walk much ( this means only feeding myself) I do not bleed. I am supposed to go to China September 20.

My question. How long can I expect for this to heal? How long do I have to avoid all alcohol and food restrictions. I am on low dose antibiotic for 3 months and 1 Vesicare per day.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Have you had a CT Scan with IV contrast and delayed images to evaluate the kidneys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes on Tuesday of this week but I have not results yet.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Did they do a urine culture?

What did it show? Were you ever started on antibiotics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They did a test and said that under the microscope it showed a quite a bit of blood but minute amounts of infection( last Saturday). A culture has been done 5 times to make sure the antibiotic they precscribed was correct for the bacteria,

I was on something ( not sure what it was on May 10 for 7 days. I went to Florida on May 12. As soon as the antobiotic was finished I started bleeding and went to a clinic. The doctor prescribed Cipro ( 250 mg twice daily) for 7 days. I came home and went to my doctor and complained that had such awful cramps and discomfort in my abdomen He said to wait a couple of weeks because it may be the change in water, medication etc. That was Monday and the next Saturday I was bleeding again and in pain. I called Telehealth Ontario and asked if I could wait unti Monday to see my doctor. They said not I had to see a doctor within the next 2-3 hours. I went to the hospital and they took a urine sample ( the usual blood an white blood cells) and did a kidney function from a blood test. That showed no kidney problem. I went home with a prescription for Keflex 500 mg 4 times a day for 7 days. I finished that on Sunday morning and was at my doctor's bleeding again on Monday. He gave me 800mg of sulfa + 160 of something else. I finished that and seemed OK for about a week. On Firday I was feeling down pressure. I took my daughter and grandchildren to Ottawa for a Cirque de Soleil performance. We arrived about 11 AM and went to Byward Market ( about 1 1/2 blocks away). We strolled around for a short time and I started feeling pain. We stopped for lunnch and I went to the washroom-swirling blood in the toilet. We went to Cirque and dinner. I went to Ottawa hospital and my urine sample was pink. The doctor told me there was not only blood but white blood cells. I had another infection. He gave me 800mg of sulfa and another scrip for the bladder. I went into a mall the next day to purchase something for my grandchildren. I went to the bathroom in a great deal of discomfort and the toilet was full of red blood. I made an appointment with my Uroligist and seen him on Thursday. He gave me 3 months of low dose antibiotic. I told him I wanted my life back and was going to start my walks and if I hemhorage again I would be back. All he said was" I do not want to see you again until this prescription is finished". I called my doctor and told him I was going to a hospital and not leave until they found out what was wrong with me. He asked me to come in and said he had no idea how long it would take for me to get better.

When I was in hospital lastg Saturday they said that the Uroligist made a note on the Cytoscope report that my bladder was very irritated. NOONE had mentioned that before. The nurse told me not to walk for a week only to feed myself ( I am a widow and live a lone remotely on a lake). I have done that and am feeling better but do not have any idea how long I must maintain this. I am scheduled to go to China on vacation Sept 20 -Oct 3.

I really need to know where I am at in terms of my condition. I am a VERY active person and it is not easy sitting around. I WILL do what I need to to get better but noone seems to be able explain this irritated bladder and excessive bleeding to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they did. But they said the medication was appropriate to my bacteria.

I have been on something I am sure of,Cipro, keflex and sulfa. Sulfa works best -double dose of 800mg.

I am leaving to go to dinner will not be able to answer more today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am home. I am sorry for having to leave yesterday. What is my prognosis?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Without an official diagnosis, I cannot give you any estimate of a prognosis. There is no way I can make a diagnosis without being able to examine you directly. But it sounds to me like you have cystitis (bladder inflammation) as the cause of the bleeding and pain. The urologist also needs to do a CT scan to evaluate for all causes of bleeding including stones or tumors of the urinary tract.

But if this is just a severe infection, it may take 1-2 weeks to clear up. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not had a bladder infection for over 2 weeks. I am on low dose antibiotics for 3 months.

I was bleeding from the bladder last Saturday after doing minimal housework. I was rushed to hospital with a SEVERE pain in my left side. The doctor had access to my bladder scope and biopsy and ultrasound results. He said he could not see anything wrong. There was a note the Urologist made on the scope that said the bladder was very irritated. I was told to do nothing more than absolutely necessary for 1-2 weeks. I have obeyed that for the last week and do feel better. I was taking probiotic on my doctor's suggestion but stopped that and all other vitamins. That has seemed to calm my pains in my abdomen.

My questions are. How long is this going to go on? I am experiencing less pain SO when the pain goes away should I start walking and resuming a normal life again? Without a recuring infection will this heal?

I am sorry to be such a pain but I am a widow and live alone remotely on a lake. I am an extremely independent woman and would really like to stay that way.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
There's no way I can determine how long this is going to go on for without an official diagnosis of what is going on.But if you're having recurrent infections, this may go on for months without the appropriate work up for figuring out what is causing the infections. The recurring infections will stop once the cause of the infections is identified and treated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not the infection that worries me. I do not have one right now. It is the pain and bleeding WITHOUT an infection that has me worried!!! How long can I expect this to go one WITHOUT another infection? As soon as I walk I get pain and then bleed. If I continue to walk I will hemorrage and get more pain.

I have been cultured, Ultrasounded, biopsied, scoped and CT scanned. Any suggestions on other test that can be done?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Again, without a diagnosis of why you are bleeding, I can't determine how long this will go on.It sounds like you probably have cystitis and you may need to be placed on a medication such as Elmiron to help restore the normal lining of the bladder so that his bleeding stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What type of drug is Elmiron? I am taking Macrobid 100 mg and 5 mg Vesicare. Is one of these similar to Elmiron?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. This is a medication designed specifically to treat cystitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind should this not stop with rest.

I appreciate all of your answers to my questions. I do realize that without your examining me and viewing the test results your hands are tied to an extent.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I wish you the best. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.