Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Over the last couple of days I have had pretty high micro-hematuria (diagnosed through uri

Over the last couple of days I have had pretty high micro-hematuria (diagnosed through urine tests). Full set of bloods have just come back with slightly raised cholesterol and ALT scores...everything else fine. Urine currently showing blood and raised leukocytes - not nitrates or anything else. Yesterday I started to get a slight stinging pain when urinating. Now on antibiotics for suspected UTI.

My mother recently died of bladder cancer. I am 39 year caucasian old male with a BMI of 34 with hypertension 150/90 (now on ACE inhibitors), 10 smoking pack years and am terrified about potential bladder cancer. I appreciate there is no such thing as a remote diagnosis but...what do you think ?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Have you ever actually seen blood in the urine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No...just through testing
With your current urinary symptoms, it certainly looks like you have a urinary tract infection. This is the cause for the blood in your urine. However, as you are aware, smoking can lead to the development of bladder cancer which can cause the development of blood in the urine which could either be microscopic or you could see it. You need to be treated for this current infection and I would recommend that your doctor repeat urinalysis in 4 to 6 weeks to see if you still have blood in the urine. If you don't have blood in urine, then this episode of microscopic blood was almost certainly due to the infection. But if you continue to have persistent microscopic blood in the urine, then you need a full evaluation by a urologist with a CT scan and cystoscopy to rule out any tumors of the urinary tract. Now would be a great time to take this is a wake up call to stop smoking to decrease your chances of developing cancer of the bladder or lung in the future. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Agree on the smoking and this is being dealt ith via smoking cessation. Does the presence of leukocytes and the quick onset of symptoms (within the last 72 hrs) point more towards an UTI than potential bladder cancer or are these just as likely with both ?

The rapid onset of the symptoms as well as the findings get your point towards a cure infection as the cause . This is probably not due to bladder cancer.