DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
24257177

For a Urology Medical Expert: My question is on penis health

Customer Question

My question is about penis health, not sure if this or dermatology is the correct category I've seen similar in both, probably urology. Looking and critiquing penis health, haven't had anything very thorough there with my regular doctor. I'll need to upload some pictures. On the head of my penis on the bottom under the urethra, there are three very small round bumps or nodules that are flesh colored, slightly purple. They can be hard to see, and I don't think they're HPV (had that vaccine) or herpes, but curious. Also just for the record I'm sure it's nothing like this but how can you tell if you have penile cancer? What does that look like? That area where these bumps are is more sensitive than the rest of the penis and can get sore somewhat easily. Also that line in the middle of the penis head two of the bumps are on, the seam area, it's slightly red not sure if that's normal or not. Doctors have looked at my penis before and didn't notice anything wrong, though not sure if I brought up these exact concerns. I've also been tested for STDs and UTIs etc before and those have come up clean. Not sure if I've always had these or what, at least for a few years, it's hard to say, they are very subtle.

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

All of the pictures you have uploaded are very out of focus. I can just barely make out that there are three small lumps but I can't tell what is going on since all details are lost in the blurry images.

I can tell you this much:

It does not look like penile cancer.

They do not look like any sort of STD.

They seem to be enlarged veins. This is a normal variation.

So. What is the take home message?

1. Do not worry.
2. If you are concerned have a urologist examine the area in person and specifically state your concerns to the doctor as you have outlined above.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, and thanks anyway, but you're not who it said was going to answer, and it says you're an opthamologist with internal medicine internship. I'm looking for a reply from a urologist. I appreciate your input, but I did pick the urology department. My first time using the site, it mentioned that urologists were online etc. But thanks none the less.

[edit: post directed for next person answering etc]

Here are some more pics, taken with a digital camera instead of my cellphone. Hopefully less blurry.

Here's a smaller version of that in case that pic size is blurry

When I pull tightening the skin, this circled one on the bottom corner for example looks notably round, I guess it kind of feels like a tiny pimple when pushed on, though I don't think its a pimple since it's been there for at least a couple years, etc.

I have some more questions there. The enlarged vein idea I'm curious about, I thought veins would be a line, why would it be a tiny round thing? And it doesn't feel like a vein feels I think, and doesn't look like other veins on my penis.

For example is it unlikely to be say angiokertomas? Or one of the other bumps listed on pages like this one: http://menshealth.about.com/od/diseasesconditions/a/penis_spots.htm

Also, have you seen this kind of thing before? Thanks again to the urologist who answers.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
This post has already been in urology and has been viewed by that category and in fact is still in that category.

I am a board certified internist and board certified integrative doctor with a lot of urology training as well.

Would you like my opinion of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure, thanks.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
The lesion you have circled is blurry
Can you take that again and circle it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The top pic in my second post there, that's the clearest I was able to get, is it viewable well in that one for you? It'd be the one on the left, the three bumps look similar to me. I took many pics but most didn't come out well, I guess close-up photography is tough with my camera.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
This looks like pearly penile papules and fordyce spots, looking over the whole thing
Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know papules are the very tiny bits I've heard of that one, is fordyce spots what the three bumps I'm curious about are? Also on the wiki page for fordyce I see it looks similar to raised follicles not a different color, mine being slightly purple and different color from the surrounding skin, is that normal etc?

Also just the word lesion raises some questions, does that mean this is from wear and tear?

For symptoms I guess it's just that area where those three bumps are is more sensitive and feels like it gets sore more easily than the rest of the penis. For other general stuff it's sometimes feels a little dry on my penis and I sometimes use unscented/dye free lotions or baby oil.

Thanks

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
OK
So of course the diagnosis can not be 100% on the internet without magnified and clear pictures..there is a chance of warts or musculosum contagiosum and both are viruses, and are contatgious.

From your picks these look like penile papules which are normal, but given the slight symptomology you need to see a doc for an examination under the magnifying glass.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX leave a positive rating shorly. I yep I did make a Urologist appointment for this Thurs, my first, I'll mention these things to them.

It's hard to remember how long I've had them but at least a few years, and I read that musculosum can sometimes naturally get rid of itself within two years, so that'd be a bit odd I guess if it is something like that. Hopefully not.

Just a couple questions while I have you here. Muscolosum contagiosum is new to me, what some of action would need to take place if it was that or HPV?

Also, I do see the tiny spots that look like pics of penile papules I've seen, but those three larger slightly purple ones look different. From what I've seen in brief pic searchs it looks like papules are usually kind of uniform, so what are your thoughts on three of them being bigger and different? Also just a random note, you used the word lesion earlier, if these are papules then they're not lesions right? Thanks again

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Both are removed by the doctor with prescription meds or with cryotherapy.

They are both viruses, and musculosum can stay indefinitely if not treated.

DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience: In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my post right before you replied, so just one quick question, if these are papules they're not lesions right? Lesion would mean it's a wound of some sort I guess, wouldn't want that.

Thanks again

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Lesion implies pathology, so a papule is technically not a lesion, it is normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Any time
any questions
Request link is always available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Turns out they were indeed just veins and nothing to be worried about, thanks again.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome anytime.