Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

I am 62 years old and just discovered that when I get an erection

I am 62 years old and just discovered that when I get an erection there is a large lump ( about the size of the end of my thumb) on the left side at the base of my penis. There is no pain or any other feeling. When the erection leaves I can feel a small difference on that side - what is the cause?

Is the lump hard to feel or is it soft?

Any redness over the lump?

Can you move the lump under the skin?

Did you hurt penis recently like accidental bending ?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. The lump is pretty hard - about the same as the rest of the penis when I have an erection -

2. there is no redness or and other discoloration

3. The lump does not move when I have an erection - but the very small lump does move when I don't have an erection

4. No injury

There could be some differentials for this lump.

If it is painless and without symptoms,it could be a cyst .

Traumatic lumps are usually painful and often associated with some reddish discoloration.

Peyronie's disease is another possibility for a hard lump in the penis.But there is some bending of the penis and loss of erection seen with this condition.

Last but not the least is some lesion of the skin like cancer can be the cause.Since it appeared so suddenly it is always better to get it checked by your doctor to confirm the diagnosis.Once it is diagnosed as a benign lump there is nothing to worry.

I hope this gives you a better idea about the lump.

You should see