Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

I have just had a urine test done at a lab and its showing

I have just had a urine test done at a lab and its showing leukocytes +3 500leu/ML and also a positive to Nitrites - what does this all mean as i have had foul smelling Urine for a few months now.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Do you have pain while passing urine ?

Are you diabetic ?

Have you done an urine culture ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no pain whilst passing urine, only a sore back at times. not a diabetic, have not done a urine culture, only strip testing done at a lab.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anne,

Leukocytes and positive nitrites in urine means that there is an infection.

A culture is warranted to identify the organism responsible for this.Accordingly antibiotic have to be started to treat it.

This could be the reason for the foul smelling urine.

Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice which is protective against urine infections.

You should see your doctor further details.

Regards

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you very much, but you are not sure what sort of infection, does a culture need to be done for this...could I have bladder infection? Kidney infection? Urine Stones? how do I know what sort of infection I have, so that the doctor can treat it with the right antibiotics?

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

It is usually the bladder which has the infection.
Kidney infections are severe and present with high fever, chills, back pain, loss of appetite etc.Since you don't have these chances of kidney infection are less

Site of infection does not matter , it is the bacteria we have to treat.

A culture will tell you what infection it is and what antibiotic will be best to treat it.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.