Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have PSA about 9, I am 80 years old. Shall I check whether

I have PSA about 9, I am 80 years old.
Shall I check whether I have cancer?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

How is your health ?

Do you have any medical illness?

Is it your first PSA value?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have hypertension (under control), diverticulosis,

and recently I had EVAR-operation.

Typically, my PSA value several years ago was about 5 and later, about 6 and half a year ago it was about 7.

Once I had a sharp increase of PSA, about 20, shortly after having catheter (when I was hospitalized)

and inflammation of urinary tract. Afterwards PSA dropped to "normal"

values.

A month ago I had PSA about 9, it was two month after my EVAR operation.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

PSA screening is done to detect early prostate cancer. But raised Psa is not always cancer. Other factors like age,infection, size of the gland can cause changes in PSA value.

Prostate cancer is Known to be a very slowly growing cancer and may take many years to cause harmful effects to the body.
So it is generally not recommended to treat prostate cancer after the age of 75.

But if you have symptoms of prostate cancer like bleeding in urine, bony pain etc there may be some rationale for the detecting the prostate cancer and treating it.

Otherwise a PSA of 9 may not be considered very much high for a 80 year old. So some may advocate just wait and watch , others may recommend biopsy for it immediately.

It is a matter of different opinions by different doctors.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.