Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Why is that I have a swollen vein in the penile shaft?

My penile shaft has a swollen vein in its base and I have noticed this 3 months ago. Sometimes it disappears but will come back soon, there is no pain or any other irritation. Seems I have noticed this after sex or masturbation. But now I am afraid to masturbate or have sex, may be it will make the swelling more. I could contact a physician may be after 2 months. Kindly advice what could be this. I am attaching the picture also.

Do you have normal erections?
Does it hurt?
Any problems in passing urine?
Any other symptoms?
Any redness over the vein?
Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes normal erection

No hurt or pain

No issues when urine passes

No redness or no sores or no irritations

But after sex I feel tenderness over there for some time

Veins are present to drain the blood from the penis and hence they are normal even if they are dilated. Some people have prominent veins and some have no visible veins. They are all just variations. It is a concern if it was painful which is not the case here.
So there is nothing to worry about it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have attached the picture on the above thread. Please scroll up and have a look at the red highlighted area, and this is noticeable since last 3 - 4 months. Could this be some injury?

I got the picture. It seems like a very subtle swelling which may not be very significant.
Penile injury which bulges out could be due to a tear in the inner blood chambers. But in that case the erections would be weak as the blood leaks out through this tear in this space. Also there would be pain during erections.
In the absence of these symptoms, I presume that this swelling is not very significant.
I hope this helps you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for answering. How can I cure it? Should I take some precautions?

Will leaving it as it is be ok to cure itself?

There is nothing to be cured here. So take it easy. Don't engage in vigorous sexual activity for some time.