Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

What is the best way to prevent kidney stones? Ive had quite

What is the best way to prevent kidney stones? I've had quite a few in the past.

First you have to have complete metabolic work up to know if you have any risk factors for stone formation.

Serum uric acid, calcium levels are checked & if they are raised then medications are started to normalize it. Some people advise alkalizing agents like potassium citrate solutions to prevent stone formation. Diuretics are also prescribed by some doctors.

If no abnormalities are found, then general dietary and life style measures are followed.

Plenty of water is the main thing. Up to 3 litres of water needs to be taken everyday.
Salt has to be restricted in diet. Meat products needs to be reduced.

Avoid alcohol & smoking if present. Exercises and active life style will also help. Above all regular check ups with your doctor to see if new stones are forming or not.

I Hope this answers your question.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.