Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have redness (blood?) in my siemen. No injuries to area that

I have redness (blood?) in my siemen. No injuries to area that i am aware of. No pain. No unusual lumps.What could it be, I am 56 Take Lisinipril for blood pressure & ibprofin for arthritis. Have some stress issues but in pretty good health. Going to make appointment with urologist but probably take weeks to see. Just concerned what could be cause,
HI

Blood in semen also known as hematospermia is a harmless condition and almost always settles of its own with time.But it creates lot of anxiety among men which is not necessary.
It most often occurs due to non specific inflammation of the prostate gland or the seminal vesicles.All what is required is reassurance and patience and this will gradually disappear.Usually no treatment is required for this condition.
Only if you have pain, discomfort or problems while passing urine , you will require a course of antibiotics.Otherwise it should settle in a matter of few 2-3 weeks.Only if it persists beyond few weeks, further tests are advised which include urine cytology, PSA, trans-rectal Ultrasound and if required MRI scan of the pelvis.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun