Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

hi there, a few months ago i had some forceful urination and

Customer Question

hi there,
a few months ago i had some forceful urination and i think i upset the urinary tract;
there was some discomfort urinating and ejacul for a few weeks.
I didn't see a Dr. I did drink cranberry juice; and dis went away; t
-3 weeks ago, i had some blood in urine and i passed a stone or clot.
-I went to dr and there was no blood in urine. Now went to Urologist and he gave me ultrasd &urine test, but he wants me to a contrast Abdomen and Pelvis scan and I'm scared b/c of radiation
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

How Old are you ?

So you had only one episode of blood in urine?

Do you smoke ?

Do you have hypertension?

Have you checked your urine for cytology?

Have you done the ultrasound scan ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Tharun,

I am 44 years old.

Correct only one episode of blood in urine, however a clot or stone passed through.

Not smoke.

I take Benicar for my blood pressure.

I did have some advanced urine test at the urologist office; but i haven't been back to him so i don't know results.

I did have an ultrasound scan; he mentioned an innocuous syst on kidney or something; but no mention of anything else...I think it was a renal ultrasound also.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

One episode of blood with some pain could be due to passage of a stone.

Advanced tests of urine seems like urine cytology and markers.If they are negative there are less chances of you harboring a cancer.

Since ultrasound of the abdomen was essentially normal , there is no harm in waiting for the urine cytology results and then proceed with the CT scan if there is something suspicious found.

On the other hand the newer CT scans are very fast and they take the entire scan in 1-2 breath holds and hence have reduced the amount radiation drastically.It is not like before now.A CT scan will clear once and for all if there is really any thing wrong inside.

I would suggest you to wait for the urine tests and if they are negative , there is no harm in waiting for some time.You need to repeat the urine tests after 6 months to make sure there is no blood in the urine which is being missed.Also an ultrasound of the abdomen can be repeated at the same time.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answer.

I couldn't tell if I passed a stone or a clot; would that change anything?

Maybe it could've been a stone with some clotting attached to the stone; some darker blood; it was squarish and mainly bright red, with a little dark red clotting attached.

The urologist is going to stick a scope up the penis to look also.

I can't help but think this is correlated to 2 months ago when i had some forceful urination and thereafter i was in discomfort for about 3 weeks; I didn't see a stone at that juncture...would appreciate your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

If it was a stone, it would confirm the diagnosis that the blood and pain was due to the stone.These tests are done because we are not sure whether it was stone or just a clot.If we are to go by protocols, then cystoscopy is(seeing inside the bladder with a camera) is recommended to make things clear.

The stone can cause some block in the passage of the urine 2 months ago.This stone can cause blood in urine later when it finally passes out.

These are just possibilities which needs to be conformed by doing tests.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answer; i just sent through a bonus and will pay you for your valuable advice; if bonus did not go through please let me know.

What if what passed was a clot?

Are clots passing through common?

What does one do in response to that?

Do you think it's more likely to be a stone?

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Inflammation of the prostate gland or an infection at that time could cause the problem in urination and ejaculation.This can lead to blood in the urine and clot after some days.Stone can cause pain while urination but it will never effect ejaculation.So there is a possibility of both a stone as well as inflammation of the prostate gland for this problem.

Passing clots is not common.If it was a clot , then it makes more sense to do the scopy to see inside of the bladder to confirm the diagnosis.

I got the bonus , thanks for the gesture.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Interesting...

I'm not 100% sure about the ejaculation....

though the discomfort urinating and maybe ejacul. was from 2-4 months ago; and the clot or stone only passed 3 weeks ago.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Both may be different problems or part of a single pathology. There are lot possibilities given you have the most common symptoms encountered in urology - that is pain while passing urine and blood in urine. Since they were seen at different intervals they may be because of different problems.

Stone, cancer, infection, trauma, inflammation all can be the cause.
Only tests and scans will pin point the diagnosis.

Dr.Tharun