Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Went to doctor after testicular pain for two days that seemed

Went to doctor after testicular pain for two days that seemed to radiate into groin. Slight lower back pain when mowing the lawn. Urine tests showed no infections but blood and high protein. I am now scared of cancer or kidney failure. Please assist with my current concerns. I have an appointment with urologist on Friday.

Do you have nausea or vomiting ?

Do you have any swelling in the testicles ?

Do you have fever?

Do you have hypertension ?

Do you smoke ?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No naseau or vomiting.
Possible swelling of testicles. Doctor not urologist did not note anything abnormal.
No fever that I can tell.
I'm a big guy, 260, so I do have a slightly high Bp, usually 120 over 85.
I do not smoke. Drink occasionally.
Three years ago a urologist and gastroenterologist noted a slight splenomaglia. No known cause. Ultrasound did not not anything else internally at that time except for fatty liver. Blood work has been relatively normal, one episode with minimally elevated white blood cell count last year. It dropped in a week or two. Sugars run a little high.

Kidney stones can present like this with pain in the groin and the testicles, which is typical of stones.
The blood and the protein can also be a part of this.
Cancer is usually painless in most of the cases.Kidney failure is very rare at this age and the doctor would have found out that.

The most probable next step would be to get an ultrasound or CT scan done to see for any stones in the kidneys.If a stone is detected than appropriate treatment can be started according to the size of the stone.It will also detect any cancer masses if present.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you this certainly helps. Could one instance of forcibly resisting the urge to urinate for a prolonged period cause this type of reaction? I haven't had any difficulty with flow but I had to battle the urge last week for a rather long time and I hope I didn't cause this or damage my kidneys as a result. Thanks again!
No.One episode of holding back the urine is not going to do any damage.