Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Can you help my mom? 79yo, healthy. In Dec 2012 she had cramps--pain

Customer Question

Can you help my mom? 79yo, healthy. In Dec 2012 she had cramps--pain in her left
lower abdomen--red blood in her urine--and it's still with her--her doc first said it's UTI--he gave her a med, 2--1 each day, (don't know what). It made no difference. He took a culture and said it was not an infection. He said she needed a new exam. She did that. Nothing had changed. He prescribed Ciprofloxacin-500mg-2 daily for UTI. It gave her major cramps at night so she stopped them. With UTI it didn't make sense. She's asked the doc to refer her to a urologist but they haven't. After the 2nd med her urine has turned pink and she still has pain.
Please help
Thanks--Ken
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

So she has blood in urine since 6 months ?

Has she undergone any scans of the abdomen ?

Have they done a cystoscopy?

How is her appetite ?

Is she losing weight ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Blood in urine 6 months.
No abdomen scans.

No cystoscopy.

Appetite is good.

Not losing weight.

Thank you Dr. Tharun.

Ken

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

This is strange to hear that nothing has been done for blood in urine for 6 months, when even a single episode is taken seriously in most of the places.

UTI is the most common cause of blood in urine in females, but not for this long.We have to suspect other causes like cancer, stone, mass etc.

So a scan and a cystoscopy is mandatory and should be done as soon as possible.I would suggest you to talk to your doctor as soon as possible for a referral to an urologist.If it doesn't happen then taking a second opinion would be advised.

Not losing weight and good appetite are good signs, but we have to confirm the diagnosis for this blood in urine.

I hope this answers your question and helps you take a decision.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much Doctor!

I'll make sure she does what you recommend.

Ken

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome.