Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

I am a 68 yr. old woman who was out of town and began having

I am a 68 yr. old woman who was out of town and began having sweats, feeling lethargic and had a backache.
The day I was to go home, I went to the bathroom to urinate and while doing so, felt pain. When I looked in the bowl, there was a lot of blood.
I came home, called my dr.'s answering service ( it was Sat. ), and described the symptoms. The dr. on call rang me back, called in a perscription for cipro*** to be taken twice a day and said if wasn't better in a few days, to call my dr. and make an appt.
I am also drinking cranberry juice.
I feel worse today;very heavy pressure in my lower abdomen;urine is cloudy; loose stools.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Do you have a fever?

Do you have abdominal pain ?

Do you smoke ?

Do you take any blood thinners ?

How is your appetite?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't taken my temperature. Break out in sweats, though.

Have lower abdominal discomfort;heaviness;pressure

Don't take thinners.

Am not hungry

Don't smoke

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Stephanie,

This definitely sounds like an urinary infection which is not mild.So much of blood is usually associated with severe infection.

If after taking cipro, you are not feeling better, you will require better antibiotics to take care of the infection.Also you need urine and blood tests.An ultrasound of the abdomen is necessary since you had blood in the urine.Sometimes stones and mass in the bladder can present like this and this will be ruled out in the ultrasound scan.

I would suggest you to see your doctor as soon as possible.If not possible go to the ER and get the necessary tests.Urinary infection can deteriorate fast and it is better to seek appropriate treatment in initial stages.

Continue taking the cipro and cranberry juice which is protective.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.