Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I am 70 years old. Over the past week I have noticed that

I am 70 years old. Over the past week I have noticed that when ever I physicall active my scrotum draws up and turns purple. No pain or other sensations. I'm healthy and have yearly check-ups. Never had any problems with the genetals in the past.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Is there any swelling of the testes?

Any urinary symptoms ?

Any other symptoms what so ever?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No swelling that I can detect. Not sure what I am looking for. Don't recall what size they were before this started.

No urinary problems that seem different. At my age things are different than they were twenty years ago.

No other symtoms I can think of.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Kerry,

If you haven't noticed anything different , perhaps there isn't any different in real.

Scrotum is made up of fine muscle under the skin which can contract and pull it self up.It usually happens in response to cold or touch or whenever we use our abdominal muscles as these small muscles are continuation of abdominal muscles.This is a normal reaction present in all.

As long as there is nothing wrong with the testicles and you have no symptoms like pain, redness or swelling; there is nothing to worry about it.

I hope this relieves your anxiety.

Do let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I knew how the scrotum and testes would react to hot and cold but had never noticed this much color change. Could it be because of my age like everything else that has happened lately? I just hate it when talking to my doctors and they say "as we get older this or that happens". They should know by now I'm not getting older that fast.

One thing I did not think of is maybe three weeks ago I had a small rash on the back side of the penis around the hood. I had be getting dirty and sweating so I thought maybe it was a hygene thing. I washed the area and used Sea Breeze on it. Was cleared up in several days. I also have a history of herpes where I can go for a year without an outbreak. Have gone as long as thirteen years.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Kerry,

Color changes may just indicate thinning of the skin .You can appreciate the color changes more easily with a thin overlying skin.This may be a part of the advancing age.

If it was infection, it would be dark or purple all the time rather than just occasionally.

Otherwise there is no medical reason for the scrotal skin to become purple as such.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have helped. I have several doctors appointments in the next month so I'll run this by my GP when I see him. I'll be having a colonoscopy in three weeks and the gastro doc will be checking the walnut at that time. Also heading for out patient knee surgery in maybe five weeks and wanted to make sure this new adventure would not cause a problem.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome and all the best for the surgery.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am sure I have a torn lateral something in the left knee that also just popped up while it is the rt knee that has needed replacing for the last five years. That needs to happen later this year.

By any chance could hemorrhoids have anything to do with the retraction when standing and being physical? Hemorrhoids are not bad and cause me no problems yet but they are there.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hemorrhoids if painful can make the area sensitive and respond to stimulus easily.Otherwise they don't interfere with the retraction.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.