Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have MS and and have a super pubic catheter. I have had this

I have MS and and have a super pubic catheter. I have had this device for two years without problem but recently I have very strong smelling urine even after the catheter and the retainer bag has been changed. The problem is preventing me from socializing as I am always conscious of the smell. Can you suggest?
Thomas Ramsay
Hi

Have you checked your urine for infection?

Do you have any pain at the SPC site?

Any discharge from the SPC entry into the abdomen?

Change in the dietary habits?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had I you a recent urine culture which did not raise alarm. Have not changed my diet. I do not have any pain

HI Thomas,

Long term SPC catheters are known to cause bladder stones which can be a source of chronic infection in the bladder and also the smell .

You should get an ultrasound of the bladder and rule out this possibility.If the scan comes clear then you can try drinking potassium citrate syrup and Vitamin C supplements, which will alkalize the urine and may get rid of the smell.
Drink lot of water and repeat the urine test to make sure that there is no infection.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

Regards

Dr.Tharun