Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have an estimated GFR of 78 and am 52. Is that bad?

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Are you hypertensive or diabetic ?

History of kidney stones ?

Have you checked your urine ?

Do you smoke ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No to all except I am taking diovan for high blood pressure. Blood pressure is fine on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No to all except hypertensive -- I am taking diovan for that and blood pressure is good on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No to all except hypertensive -- taking diovan for that and blood pressure is good on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No to all except hypertension. I am taking Diovan for that and blood pressure is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No to all except hypertension. I am taking diovan for that and blood pressure is good. Maybe it could be the blood pressure medication?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for all the response -- they are pretty much the same. Am wondering if it could be the diovan

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

GFR of 78 is OK for your age. It is a matter of concern if it was below 60. 60 is the cut off for significant kidney disease. Books would say 90 as he ideal level. But that would be seen only young individuals. Practically this is the level seen in your age group.

It is not the drug but hypertension itself which can reduce the GFR levels. Good control of hypertension is what required to decrease this damage.
You should do a urine test and check for proteins in it. If there is significant kidney disease there would be proteins in the urine. So you can relax if there is no proteins in the urine.

Just remember to get regular check ups and follow a healthy life style. Things will take care of it self then.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will follow up with my doctor here in terms of the urine test. Just as one last thing, the report says the average GFR for age is 93. I was thinking that means the 78 number is XXXXX even average. I am also assuming that if it was good, I may not need to even do the urine protein test?

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
As I said the books say above 90 is ideal. But we rarely get that results even in healthy people in daily practice.
But below 90 can be an indication for further tests just to be on the safer side. Most of the times these tests are normal and no treatment is started for it.

But below 60 is considered genuine kidney failure and treatment is started for it.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.