Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

bladder cancer surgery

I have had bladder cancer surgery to remove a 1cm soft tissue mass, successfully. 57 active health male. I have a stricture at the head of my penis that inhibits and redirects urine in an arch from left to right as the force increases. There may or may not be further strictures present, however while self cathetering w/6", I am able to insert it all the way in without any further restrictions felt. I was active and healthy sexually with my wife prior to this operation, with a considerable volume of semen. Here is my question: Now when I climax very little comes out, when before there was substantially more volume. Could there be a restriction/stricture/scar tissue at the opening into the urethra? If so, is therea way to correct this?

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Where was the mass in the bladder?

Was any thing done for the prostate at the time of the surgery?

Do you take any medications?

Are you diabetic?

Why are you self catheterizing ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mass was near the prostate right side.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Gary,

It seems like a partial retrograde ejaculation.

As the mass was near the prostate, removal of the mass would have involved the bladder neck too.Bladder neck is responsible for the semen to flow into the urethra rather than into the bladder.If the bladder neck is compromised during the surgery, there is very good reason to believe that the ejaculation is going back into the bladder partially which may be responsible for the low quantity of semen.

During prostate surgery the whole bladder neck is removed, and patients usually have nil ejaculation.In this cancer surgery, only the part near the mass would have been removed hence compromising the bladder neck partially explaining the lowered quantity of semen.

Another possibility is scarring of the opening of the prostate and seminal vesicles ducts into the urethra which would restrict the flow of the semen into the urethra.If this is the scenario a simple surgery to open the ducts can done to regain the semen flow.

If it is the bladder neck, there is hardly any thing which can be done as most of the cases it is permanent.There are some drugs used to reverse this condition, but they have serious side effects.

You should discuss these options with operating doctor who will confirm the possibilities.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.