Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

Hello, I am 33 years old now and got married for 8 years.

I am 33 years old now and got married for 8 years. We are trying for kids since 4 years and unsuccessful. My sperm count is low (about 4 million) and using the medicine consistently. The treatment i was suggested is Fertisure/Fertyl - M and Maxoza -L powder daily. I don't see much improvement in the sperm levels. We undergone few IUI cycles and IVF also once.

I am also having hydrocele in both testicles. Unknowingly i consulted a doctor (not big) and went on for removal of water from testicle. The biggest mistake i did ever.

With this background, can you please suggest me what should i do now? I am still continuing the medication. Another thing to share is when i use Ayurvedic medicine, there is a better sperm count.

There is little hope of increasing the sperm count to significant levels so as to attain a normal pregnancy in your case.

Right now the options are to try out one more cycle of IVF or directly go for ICSI- Intra Cytoplasmic sperm injection.

This involves manipulating the sperms under the microscope and mechanically introducing the sperm into the ova to fertilize it.This has more than 90 % success rates as even one sperm can do the job here.

So either you can go for another cycle of IVF and then ICSI or directly go for ICSI.Any other way would be waste of time and money.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tharun,

Can you give your suggestions on improving the sperm count and motility?

Usually we advise to eat healthy , exercise and avoid smoking /alcohol.

Avoid hot baths and hot environment.Avoid keeping your laptops on your lap.Don't keep your cell phones in your trousers.Wear loose trousers and not so tight under garments.

Vitamin supplement which has got zinc, selenium, l-carnitine and arginine are usually prescribed.Sometimes anti- oxidants are also prescribed.But results of these methods are not always encouraging .A trial of 3- 6 months is given after which better methods as mentioned before can be sought.

If you have dilated veins around the testis - also known as Varicocele, excising it would be advised.This is the only procedure which has shown to improve sperm counts on a regular basis.

Other than these methods , there are hardly any measures you can take to improve the sperm count.Ayurvedic medications are also prescribed, but I have very little experience with it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Tharun,

As i mentioned in my first communication, i had hydrocele and removed water from testicle. Will it cause any problems for sperm generation? If so, please suggest any remedy.

Hydrocele surgery should not affect the sperm production and you need not do anything for it.