Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I feel a hard tube down the center of the shaft of my penis.

I feel a hard tube down the center of the shaft of my penis. This is accompanied by burning sensation lately when urinating. Almost like a straw is in there, which there isn't obviously. Perhaps this is normal and I am just now noticing it due to the burning sensation.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

What is your age ?

Any problems in erection?

Did you notice any bending of the penis especially when erect?

Any pain in the testicles ?

Have you done an urine test?

Any medical illness?

Do you smoke?

Any injury to the penis recently?

Blood in the urine?

How is the flow of the urine ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you. I am 40 years old.

"No" is the answer to almost all of your questions with the exception of the following 3:

1) i did have a urine test (unrelated to this) and it was fine. Here are the results:

05/08/13 16:31UABasic COLOR: Colorles CHARACTER: Clear Specific Gravity UA: 1.007* (1.015-1.025) PH Urine: 6.0 (5.0-6.5) Glucose Urine: Negative mg/dL (Negative) PROTEIN URINE: Negative mg/dL (Negative) KETONE URINE: Negative mg/dL (Negative) BILIRUBIN: Negative (Negative) UROBILINOGEN: < 2.0 mg/dL (< 2.1) LEUKOCYTES: Negative (Negative) NITRITE: Negative (Negative) BLOOD: Negative (Negative) CATHETERIZED: No

2) Health issue. I do have a DVT of the iliac and IVC veins that is causing congestion in my lower extremeties. I am on anticoagualtion medicaine for this problem. There is no known cause for the DVT after a multitude of tests.

3) Urine flow is ok with maybe more frequent urination (not really noticable though--always been pretty frequest as i drink a lot of water). Mild pain when i urinate, mainly when i finish. Also the feeling of needing to go when i walk sometimes even when i don't and also feels like close to leaking when walking occasionally but not bad.

Thanks you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify. It feels more like a toothpick size tube that is harder than i have notieced in the past. Similar to a 1mm piece of flexible rubber wire down the middle (top) of the shaft of the penis most all of the way down (stops maybe 1/2 inch short of the tip.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Burning in the urine is due to inflammation of the urinary tract - bladder, prostate, or the urethra.Bladder and urethral infection will be easily detected on urine tests as bacteria are readily shed from these structures.
But prostate being a deep seated gland can escape the normal urine tests and hence return a negative result despite being inflamed or infected.

So a repeat urine test is recommended after a mild prostate massage which may squeeze out some pus cells or bacteria into the urine.If it is indeed due to infection, a course of antibiotics is recommended to get rid of it.As it is a deep seated gland , drugs also reach the gland with difficulty.Hence antibiotics have to be taken for longer periods (4 weeks).

Prostate inflammation could be sometimes without an infection.It could be stress induced.There is no particular reason why this happens, but it is commonly in periods of stress like anxiety, heavy work, traveling, hot climates etc.

In that case a course of anti-inflammatory drugs with prostate muscle relaxant like alfuzosin will help with the condition.

Another possibility is a hard plaque in the penis also known as peyronie's disease.Since you mentioned a hard structure,this possibility comes out.But there is associated pain and bending of penis during erections in this condition which you don't have.So chances that you have a peyronie's disease is less.

I would suggest you to get a repeat urine test after a short prostate massage.If there is evidence of infection, treat it with antibiotics.If not try the anti-inflammatory and alfa blockers foe some days.

If the problem still persists then a cystoscopy is mandatory.It involves seeing inside of the urethra and the bladder.Sometimes small growths can produce burning sensation.
Again no blood seen in the urine makes it less likely.

I hope this gives you some info to go forward with your problem and tackle it more efficiently and quickly.

If you have any doubts ,please let me know.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. So last question. Is my description of the hardened tube abnormal or something i posibly have just not noticed before?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

It is very hard to tell.Something you feel hard may not be hard for a doctor or vice verse.So if it is really hard structure, then it is abnormal.Because there are firm(like the tip of the nose) structures in the penis when erect but never a hard structure(like a bone or wood).

So if you feel like a bone or wood, it is abnormal.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of my comments are referring to when flaccid. Not wood or bone like but just a noticeable somewhat hard tube.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
There is the urinary passage in the center of the penis which is the urethra.It is a muscular tube and can feel hard when felt carefully and compressed.It is the tube which carries the urine out.After all it may be normal thing you are feeling .

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.