Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Chronic UTIs can lead to Kix

I have chronic UTI's for almost a year and a half. I live in a small town where several Urologist come from Tucson, Az for appointments. I finally was able to see a urologist in April, 2013. My primary care doctor, as well as the doctors in the hospital and rehab center (I had major back fusion surgery in December, 2012), have tried treating the UTI's with all the common antibiotics.

The urologist told me that since the UTI's kept recurring, he wanted to do some exploring to see where the problem might lie so I am scheduled to have a Cystoscopy next Thursday, May 23, 2013. I also have a history with kidney stones.

My problem and question: I have a "stress area" in my back, left side, kidney area. For the past twenty plus years when I got stress, this area would tighten and be painful. I could rub it out and destress and it would go away - not a huge problem. SINCE I SAW THE UROLOGIST IN APRIL TO NOW, MAY 19TH, --- the pain affects a wider area and doesn't really go away unless I am just resting in a chair or bed. It's become quite painful TO THE POINT I AM WORRIED ABOUT SOMETHING GOING ON WITH MY KIDNEY. THIS PAST WEEK, MY LEFT LEG: CALF, ANKLE, FOOT - AN TO A LESS DEGREE ON MY RIGHT LEG TOO HAVE SWOLLEN A LOT WITH EDEMA AND REDNESS. I STARTED TAKING DIEURETICS WHICH HAS HELP SOMEWHAT GETTING THE SWELLING DOWN, but in truth, it keeps going up and down.

MY QUESTION:
Do you think I need a Ureteroscopy too? Or do you just begin a diagnostic evaluation starting with just the Cystoscopy? I wonder if I could have an infection in the kidnesy or something? How are kidney infections diagnosed?

I have to wait months for appointments and this back pain and edema is really causing me to not feel a lot of the day. I have had kidney stones, and so far it does not feel like a stone. Could it ber a kidney infection and how are they diagnosed?

Thank you for any information you can give to me. Kate
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Kidney infections are usually severe infections and will not be mild pain in the back.They present with fever, chills and severe pain in the back.
Stones can produce such pain in the back, but it will be a constant pain.It will go away with rubbing and resting.The pain which goes away by rubbing and resting is usually back pain which is muscular in origin.

Kidney infections are diagnosed by clinical examination and scans of the kidney.Infected kidney will be swollen with features of infection around the kidney.These features can be easily seen with a CT scan.Also urine tests would be positive in this case, but not always.

Ureteroscopy is not recommended as a screening procedure unless there is a suspicion of cancer in the ureters.A ct scan provides good information about the ureters and can be substituted for a ureteroscopy.

Edema can be feature of sub-optimal kidney function and it can be diagnosed with a simple blood test of blood urea and serum creatinine.If these levels are normal then the source of edema is not the kidney.

So at the moment cystoscopy alone would be a nice option.A CT scan can be added if your urologist feels so.

I hope this answers your question.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to thank you for your thorough reply. You addressed each thing I inquired about to my satisfaction. I feel better prepared for my for my visit to the urologist on Thursday.