Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Hello, Recently Ive spotted a little irritation on the tip

Recently I've spotted a little irritation on the tip of my penis – a very small little paper cut looking single sore, right in the opening of the urethra. It does not itch, I don't feel any burning sensation nor notice any discharge or smell. I've been using hydrocortisone cream for 5 days and the inflammation is really healing well if I use it twice a day, but the little "open cut" never heals/closes for good. I'm avoiding sex, but every time I masturbate, it get's a little more irritated. I'm traveling abroad at the moment, so I can't really see a physician right now. I have also tried clotrimazole cream for a couple of days but it didn't do much. I though that since it's a single sore and there's no itching, discharge, pain, and because it is slowly healing with hydrocortisone (though not completely) it doesn't sound like a STD. Any advice?

Do you have swellings in the groin?

Any burning while passing urine ?

Any pain in the testicles ?

Please let me know

Dr Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Recently I've spotted a little irritation on the tip of my penis – a very small little paper cut looking single sore, right in the opening of the urethra. It does not itch, I don't feel any burning sensation nor notice any discharge or smell. No swelling whatsoever. I've been using hydrocortisone cream for 5 days and the inflammation is really healing well if I use it twice a day, but the little "open cut" never heals/closes for good. I'm avoiding sex, but every time I masturbate, it get's a little more irritated. I'm traveling abroad at the moment, so I can't really see a physician right now. I have also tried clotrimazole cream for a couple of days but it didn't do much. I though that since it's a single sore and there's no itching, discharge, pain, and because it is slowly healing with hydrocortisone (though not completely) it doesn't sound like a STD. Any advice?

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Male
Person's Age: 28
What have you tried so far?: hydrocortisone clotrimazole
HI Philip,

STD's can present variably from a frank painful ulcer with discharge to mild painless ulcer like yours.So it is very difficult to tell definitely that it is not STD.But it is definitely a mild one if it is a STD.It could be other way round too.It could be just a non specific ulcer which will heal with time.

But as the cut is slowly but responding to the ointment, continue the cream for the time being.Keep the region clean.If you develop any fever, discharge or groin swelling see a doctor immediately.Otherwise see your doctor when you return home and get a swab test from the ulcer or the urethra.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Regards

Dr.Tharun