Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Good morning, My husband had a vasectomy on March 19, 2013

Good morning,
My husband had a vasectomy on March 19, 2013 and on May 14th, 2013 we started to get intimate. Penetration was not achieved though. During foreplay, he grazed my vagina and at that point we stopped as I was concerned some of his pre ejaculation fluid might have sperm. I was ovulating at this time and would like to know what is the probability that conception might occur, considering I was at the peak of ovulation and some contact with my vagina was made. From researching on the internet, several articles state many men are azoospermic until several weeks after a vasectomy.
HI

Yes it is true that the semen will have sperms for 3 months after vasectomy.It is the already formed sperms in the system which comes out in the semen.That is why intercourse is always advised with protection only during this period.
The pre-ejaculate fluid is a clear secretion secreted by the cowper's glands and does not contain sperms.But if he had recently ejaculated before this incident happened, then there is a possibility that it could contain sperms.But conception is rare in these scenarios too as sperms have a short life in urinary tract.So there is a theoretical possibility only, practically it is next to nil.

I hope this clears your doubt.Use protection for 3 months.It is a must.

Regards

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Tharun!