Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

My CT Scan said "large exophytic cyst extends from the superior

My CT Scan said "large exophytic cyst extends from the superior pole of the left kidney measuring 3.2 cm in diameter" Is this dangerous or a reason for concern?
Hi

Was anything mentioned about the enhancement - Non enhancing or Enhancing mass?

Do you have blood in urine ?

Do you smoke?

Are you hypertensive or obese?

Why was the CT scan done ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Tharun,

Yes, I was sent to get the CT Scan by my GP because of Hematuria, right flank pain, possible kidney stones.

I do not smoke.

I do take Altace & Atenenol as a follow up from triple bypass years ago.

5'10, 225 lbs

Hi Lee,

As I requested before - was anything mentioned in CT report about the enhancement of the mass seen in the kidney?

History of kidney cancers in the family?

Please let know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing is mentioned in CT report about the enhancement of the mass...

No history of kidney cancers in the family.

HI Lee,

Hematuria , flank pain and a mass in the kidney - the combination which is known to be typically seen in a case of kidney cancer.

So as of now for all practical purposes, it should be considered cancerous unless proved otherwise.So you need to get this mass out of your system as soon as possible.It is not always going to be a cancer,other diagnoses are there but the prime concern is cancer.
Presently Removal of the mass only with preservation of remaining kidney is the followed treatment protocol.You should talk to an urologist to discuss these options.

So you should not ignore this mass in the kidney and opt for treatment as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do they commonly remove the cyst and is this abnormally large?

HI Lee,

The size is just bordering significant size as anything bigger than 3 cm is considered to be suspicious.

Again the diagnosis would depend on the detailed CT report.If it is a simple cyst then nothing needs to be done.If it is enhancing and there are complex structures seen inside the cyst, then it needs to be removed.
Cysts are classified according to Bosniak system.Type I and type II can be left alone.Type 3 needs to be observed and scanned regularly.Anything above type 3 needs to be considered cancerous and hence removed.

So in summary, the type of the cyst will decide whether it is dangerous or not.

Cysts can be removed separately and the remaining healthy kidney is repaired so as to preserve as much as normal healthy kidney.

It is most often done by laparoscopy .Some prefer to do by open method.

Regards

Dr.Tharun