Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

My Boyfriend has had bleeding from his Penis for about month

My Boyfriend has had bleeding from his Penis for about month now, he has been given medication for a Bladder infection and Chlamydia. He has had a scope up his penis to look at his bladder and an ultra sound done as well to see his kidneys. The bleeding is still going on, it is not while he urines, he will be walking, working, sitting, doing nothing and blood will just soak through his pants, he loss so much blood one day he became light headed. what could be wrong with him??

Is he sure that the blood is coming from inside the penis and not from somewhere outside near the penis like the scrotum or penile skin?

Has he seen the blood oozing from the penis?

Any injury or fall recently?

Does he have fever?

Any blood in the semen?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not coming from the outside, when he goes to take a pee, after the pee blood clots will come out after, then will bleed a bit longer, he will put tissue in his boxers and he needs to changed that about every half hour, and it is soaked in blood. it does not bleed when he is laying down and not moving.

No injury or fall

He does not have a fever

No blood in the Semen.

He has seen 2 different doctors now, got 2 different medications as i said before, one doctor even said he never seen anything like this, no pain, no burning.

Has he done a scopy when there is active bleeding ?

How often does it occur?

Has he checked his urine for blood?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he got the scope that goes into his penis and everything was fine.

it doesn't bleed when he urinates, a stream of blood and blood clots follow after urinating.

when it first started it was stead for 2 days, then it stopped for about 3 days, then is began again for 4 days, he actually got light headed from the blood loss. it had stopped for about week, then it began again today.

Ideally cystoscopy should be done when he is bleeding .In that way the bleeding spot can be identified and treated accordingly.

If the previous cystoscopy was not done at the time of bleeding , then he needs to repeat the scopy to find the source of bleeding.

It seems like there is a problem in the urethra(urine passage within the penis) as the urine is clear and blood leaks out of its own.Sometimes it could be a hemangioma - tumor of blood vessels which can bleed profusely like this.

A repeat cystoscopy is recommended at the same time as you are bleeding.This will clear things. If it is bleeding there has to be a source.Blood cannot appear out of thin air.

So try to get another scopy at the right time, I am sure a cause will be found.

Please let me know if you have any questions or doubts.