Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

67 year old male with stinging urination that seem to lessen

67 year old male with stinging urination that seem to lessen when i drink lots of water.My stream is weak sometimes and had a wormlike clot at end of urine.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Since when ?

Do you have abdominal pain? Fever?

Do you have to urinate at night time after you go to sleep?

Blood in the urine apart from the clot?

History of stone in the kidney?

Do you smoke ?

Are you hypertensive ?

How is your weight -normal or overweight?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a fever and i do get up at night to urinate.I have had blood in urine that usually clears with lots of water. I had this problem about 3 months.i do not know if i got a kidney stone.i feel a sting near my penal tip after i urinate sometimes.sometimes i smoke pot.my is 168 and iam 5'7".The sting i feel is located near the underside right of penis. I appreciate your response. Tom
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Blood in urine with irritative symptoms is a bad combination and raises the suspicion of cancer in the bladder.It may not be true always, but it needs to be checked and this condition ruled out.

The usual cause of blood in urine and weak stream is enlarged prostate gland.If this is the case both can be controlled by medications.

Sometimes stone in the bladder can also produce such symptoms.

So you can see many conditions can produce these overlapping symptoms.Only further tests can shed more light on one particular problem and can be treated accordingly.

You need to do an urine cytology as well as ultrasound scan of the kidneys and bladder.CT scan would be the perfect test, but can be done if the ultrasound shows some problem.
Also a rectal exam is necessary to see for the prostate enlargement. PSA test will see for prostate cancer.

Last test to be done is cystoscopy- seeing inside the bladder with a camera.This will see for any abnormal growths in the bladder.

I hope this helps you take a decision regarding your problem.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.