Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

A men who is 55 years old had never an urological examination.

A men who is 55 years old had never an urological examination. Do you recommend to make such examinations every year? With a PSA test?

I am little unclear about the question.

Are you trying to ask whether to do a PSA as a screening test?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, can you give me your advice about PSA as a screening test? Some experts recommend this test for all men over 50 and other say, that the test could detect false problems.

Hi Daniel,

PSA came up as a big thing for prostate cancer and it helped detect lot of early prostate cancers.But at the same time it detected lot of cases which were very minor cancers which never would have affected the patient's life anyway.So in such cases any treatment is over treatment as the chance of person dying from the cancer is almost nil.

Earlier PSA was recommended as a normal screening procedure all males above 50 years.But that trend is gone down and it is only done as an opportunistic test or on patient demand.

At present doctors inform the patient about PSA and let the patient decide whether to do it not.But if the doctor finds suspicious prostate on rectal examination, PSA is recommended.

I hope this helps you.