Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

My son is 15 years old. He cannot fully retract his foreskin.

My son is 15 years old. He cannot fully retract his foreskin. The doctor means that an urologist could make a forced foreskin retraction. It is good idea? It seems that this procedure is very painful.

There is no thing as forced skin retraction.It can either retracted or not.Forced retraction is done only in young children may be below 5 years.When it cannot be retracted this condition is known as PHIMOSIS.

If the foreskin is tight enough after 5-6 yrs of age then it is better to opt for surgical correction.

But first you have to see an urologist to decide how tight is the foreskin and whether it is problematic or not.There is milder forms of treatment like steroid creams and stretching. Also dorsal slitting can be done without full circumcision.

These options can be discussed once you see an urologist.

I hope this answers you.