Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

About 3 years ago I had small blood clots in my urine. My doctor

About 3 years ago I had small blood clots in my urine. My doctor did a CT scan and Cystoscopy but found everything normal. The symptom went away in about a month. Then 1 year ago, the same thing happened and I did ultrasound on my kidney and bladder, again found nothing. Just a month ago it came back again and is still happening. The doctor did a CT scan but still nothing found. Although the doctor suggested that there is nothing I should be worried about, I am still a little scared of this reoccurring thing... Shall I ask for another Cystoscopy or go to Nephrologist to see if anything can be found? And if still nothing can be found, what should be my plan going forward? I'm 30 years old, male, never smoke.
Hi

Have you done a urine cytology for cancer?

Have you done any urine tumor markers?

History of cancers in the family?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

Have you done any urine tumor markers?

No.

History of cancers in the family?

Yes, my grandfather had stomach cancer.

HI Ryan,

Repeated negative scanning and cystoscopy is a usual scenario seen in some of patients with blood in urine.

It is said that , once a thorough exam is done which has come negative the chances of finding a cause within next 6 years is almost nil.

So if you have not done an urine cytology and urine tumor markers, get it done .If this also is negative, then there is nothing to be done except regular scans and urine cytology every 6 months to 1 year.Because there is a slightly increased chance of developing cancer in future.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr.Tharun.

If I got negative on cytology and urine tumor markers this time, what should be my plan going forward?

By "regular scans", do you mean cytology, CT, tumor markers, and Cystoscopy? Assuming I will do regular scan and cytology every year, what are the signs that I should be alerted, and when shall I go through a thorough exam again? Also, is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of developing cancer in future? (like drink more water?)

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Regular scans means ultrasound , then urine cytology and urine tumor markers.CT is not recommended as a screening procedure.This can be continued if there are no new findings or symptoms till 6 years.AfterXXXXXscan and the cystoscopy can be repeated.

You already have the symptoms of blood in the urine which is the most important symptom.So apart from that there are very symptoms like weight loss , loss of appetite and abdominal swelling etc.

Prophylactic measures include drinking lot of water, avoid alcohol and chemical exposure.

Regards

Dr.Tharun