Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

After a inguinal hernia surgery repair I started to have testicles

After a inguinal hernia surgery repair I started to have testicles pain and have a mass growth in one of my testicles, is it somehow related to the surgery? I had 2 other inguinal hernia repair and did not had this symptoms before. My doctor stated that the surgery could cause damage in surrounding structures but never explicit stated what structures when I asked him to be more specific.I did a ultrasound on the testicles and found hydrocele and moderate to severe amount of hydrocele with debris

The common structure which can get injured during inguinal hernia surgery is lymphatic channel which carry the protein fluid from the body back to the circulation.

In hernia surgery the channels are supposed to empty the fluid from the testicles.So naturally if these channels are severed or injured the fluid will accumulate around the testicles forming hydrocele.

These channels are very minute and very easy to get injured.

The treatment of hydrocele is opening the fluid containing compartment around the testis and drain the fluid.Then the walls of the compartment are everted and stitched backwards to keep it open.So the fluid is not collected anymore and hydrocele doesn't recur.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have any doubts, please let me know.