Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

I had a cystoscopy on 4/24 as a 4 months TURBT (One 1cm Ta

I had a cystoscopy on 4/24 as a 4 months TURBT (One 1cm Ta Grde2/3 noninvasive TCC turmor was resected) followup with results coming back with the following findings:

Urethra - normal
Prostatic urethra - not enlarged
Bladder neck normal
ureteral orifices - normally positioned
Bladder mucosa - Scarred region in the left lateral wall. Otherwise normal.

Urine (collected before the cystoscopy) test came back:

Negative for malignancy.

Reactive urothelial cells and numerous spermatozoa are present.

Then last Sunday I had sharp pain in the inside of the tip of the penis. I took a look
inside the opening and saw a red bump on the left about 1/4 inch from the opening.
Looks like a little bleeding. Is the area with the red bump part is of the urethra? I am waiting for the urine test result as my urologist told me to gave a urine sample on

What does it mean with the presence of reactive urothelial cells and spermatozoa?

It is a part of the urethra known as Fossa Navicularis.

Urothelial cells are the normal cells which line the inside of the urinary system.

Spermatozoa means sperms ;probably you had a recent ejaculation which deposited some sperms in the bladder and hence detected on urine examination.

I hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have ant questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Couple of more questions:

Will the last cystoscopy detect the red bump I have now because the report said normal urethera?

Also reactive cells, are they normal or they are reacting to infection or inflammation?

HI Peter,

If it was seen with out the scope , the doctor must have seen it last time directly or while inserting the scope.

Reactive urothelial cells are the reaction of the urothelial cells to any inflammation or infection.They are benign changes and not cancerous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was thinking may be it's so close to the opening when he inserted the scope he might have missed that red bump since he said nothing about the red bump. The red bump only happened like 10 days later the cystoscopy , can it because the roughness of the scope causing red bump and sleigh bleeding?

Usually whole urethra is seen while withdrawing the scope and so we can see the opening of the urethra too.

This bump could very well be a reaction to small injury by the scope.This cannot be denied.