Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

In the day I can go countless hours between needing to urinate,

In the day I can go countless hours between needing to urinate, but at night I seem to be up every 2-3 hours! I am diabetic, but it is not related to my sugar levels - the same if I am low/normal as if I am higher. I am almost 60. I am about to go away for the weekend,, sleeping in someone else's camper van, I will be so embarrassed if I have to get up frequently! Is there a reason for this??
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

How is the urine flow stream - normal or weak?

Do you have to strain to pass urine ?

Do you feel sense of incomplete evacuation of bladder ?

Any medications for prostate?

Have you checked your prostate gland?

History of kidney stones ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Flow is normal,feel fine once I have passed urine. Do I have a prostate - I am female? No kidney stones

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Sorry for the misunderstanding as there was no mention of the gender in the question.

I would like ask some more questions regarding the problem.

Do you take water pills (eg, lasix) etc ?

Do you smoke ?

Are you stressed now a days ?

Do you leak urine when you cough or laugh?

Any previous surgeries ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The answer is no to the above questions. I do not leak when I cough or laugh, I take no water pills, I have not had surgery, nor am I stressed. I have never smoked.

It also makes no difference what or how much I have drunk during the evening.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Frequency during the night could be due to either overproduction of urine or small capacity of the bladder.

Overproduction is usually due to excessive water drinking, cardiac problems and sometimes diabetes.However these causes are rare.

Small capacity or oversensitive bladder is the second cause of such frequency which is more commonly seen than the first one.

Usually it responds to water restriction from evening, avoiding tea-coffee and weight loss.Weight loss is a major remedial measure for this condition and has been proven beyond doubts.

Pelvic floor exercises where you repeatedly contract/relax the anal muscles can also improve this condition and make you hold urine much longer.

Last option is medication.Usually oxybutynin ,tolterodine & trospium are the preferred options for this condition.They are taken regularly to avoid this frequency.

Desmopressin spray is a nasal puff spray which can be taken on demand where you want to avoid such situations during a particular period only.So you can avoid taking regular medications.Puffs are taken before the intended period and you remain symptom free for that time.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

Please let me know if you have any doubts regarding your problem.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.