Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

I have had two bladder infections with high blood amounts in

I have had two bladder infections with high blood amounts in my urine. Today I feel fine and my urine is almost rust in color. I don't have any pain. Will water help?

When did you have bladder infections?

Did you take any medications for the infection?

Are you on blood thinners ?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had two infections between Dec.2012 and March 2013. I was treated with an antibiotic and felt fine. I take a Naprosen, Robaxin, Embrel 50 once a week and Vicodin once a day for my Ankylosing Spondalitis. I have been on these medications for 20 years except for the Embrel. It has only been 4 years. I drink alot of fluid, weight 127. BP 118/60 and I exercise regularly. My older brother and two of my Paternal family members have had kidney stones and kidney cancer.

HI Lori,

Blood in urine should be tested further to make sure that there is no cancer which we are missing.

So you should do an ultrasound of the kidneys or more appropriately a CT scan of the abdomen.

A cystoscopy is also recommended to see inside the bladder to rule out cancer of the bladder.

There is a strong reason believe that the blood could be due to the infection, but the family history of cancers makes it mandatory to do these tests and clear things off.

In the meanwhile water will help.