Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.

60yr male. Per CT with contrast, 2.3mm kidney stone R upper

60yr male. Per CT with contrast, 2.3mm kidney stone R upper region & 3mm L upper region. No prior kidney stones. Asymptomatic. Urologist wants to perform lithotripsy. After reading that upwards of 20% of patients can develop secondary HTN & renal failure, why have the procedure if asymptomatic. This seems to me a very high risk. Thx, Dave

Is this the first time you are diagnosed with stones?

Any other medical illness?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1st other conditions. completely non symptomatic to these.

These are very small stones and you can try drinking plenty of water to see if they pass off.There is no harm in following up these small asymptomatic stones with periodic Ultrasound and intervene if there is an increase in the size of these stones.

If at all they need to be treated, lithotripsy is the recommended procedure.

Drink plenty of water and avoid too much salt and animal proteins.It will prevent growth the present stones and also avoid formation of new stones.

I hope this answers your question.