Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

is psa test result level 7 safe.?

is psa test result level 7 safe.?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Is this your first time doing the PSA?

Do you have family history of prostate cancer?

Recent urinary infections ?

How is your urinary flow ?

Have you measured the prostate size ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it isfirst time.no prostate cancer history.i did not see any urinary infections.my urinary flow is weak and i have to go to urinate several times and there is always a sense of disatisfaction that i could not urinate completely. once my doctor did examined by his finger and said it is large.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI Muhammad,

The normal limit for PSA is 4 above which it is always better to do some further tests or get a biopsy eventually.

If the PSA is marginally raised like in your case, it is advised to get a repeat PSA test after 4 weeks.If it is still raised then Free to Total PSA ratio is advised.If this ratio is less then 18 % then it is better to go for a biopsy and rule out prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer is rare at this age, but it is always better to be safe.

So the next step should be repeat the PSA and get a free to total PSA ratio if the repeat values remain high.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am taking two tablets of apo-tamsulosin cr0.4mg daily.do it would have any impact on psa result?should i continue taking this medicine while i go next time for my psa test.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

This tablet does not have any effect on the PSA.So you can continue taking this tablet while you go for PSA next time.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.