Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Hi In 2008, for roughly 2 weeks, it felt like a cell phone

Customer Question

Hi In 2008, for roughly 2 weeks, it felt like a cell phone was vibrating in my penis head. I went to a family doctor who did not know what it was and itieventually went away. For the last few days, the same feeling is back! It typically happens for three hours a day or so. Always in the evening. It will last for three hours straight and it will then go away. I have been tested for all STD's incdluging herpes. No sores or anything else. I know the herpes blood test is not 100% accurate, but I cannot find anything else online that mimics these symptoms. Have you seen anything like this before in your urology practice? Please give me a list of things it should be. Please note I have been on doxyxycline for the past month for a tick bite, so i do not believe i could have any sort of infection. Also, I went to a urologist yesterday who more or less blew me off. My urnine was clean. Please only answer if you are currently practicing urology- not general or internal medicine, but specifically board certified in urology.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am busy with a patient. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

Yes, I have treated men with this vibrating type sensation in the penis before. It is typically due to prostatitis which is a prostate infection. If they cannot detect anything on your urine culture, then the urologist may need to do a prostate massage to milk some of the prostate fluid out to send for a culture. You may need to be placed on a 30 day course of an antibiotic such as Bactrim or Cipro. You can take an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to try to decrease some of the inflammation that is irritating the nerves that is causing the sensation. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be BPH with not infection? Should I worry about false negative STD tests?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, you would not have BPH at your age and it would not cause these symptoms. You could have a false-negative STD test and you may want to be retested just to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i have been tested multiple times and i am not currently sexually active. It just seems odd that I could have infection while on doxicycline. When you see symtpoms like mine, i feeling of vibration, what % of the time is it an irritated prostate vs something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only STD it could possibly be is herpes even though i have never had sores and had IGG blood tests multiple times as well as the vibration lasting for multiple days which would not be consistant with an outbreak. Would this be an accurate statement?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
If you're not sexually active, then this is not an STD. I have never seen anything else cause this type of vibration besides prostatitis. I think your urologist still needs to investigate further for prostatitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have not been sexually active in a few years, that is why i think the only std it could POSSBILY be, but not likely is herpres, but i trust you if you say you have only seen this caused by the prostate. Can you get a prostate infection with no sex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also mention that i also get the same feeling after orgasm but maybe only for 30 seconds. Does this change your opinion at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but after orgasm it only happens 25% of the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Y, you still online?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can get a prostate infection even without having sex. This type of infection is typically due to incomplete bladder emptying or more commonly, a sexually transmitted disease. At your age, the most common cause of prostatitis is an STD. This is why I think you should probably be retested for STDs. But it could also just have originated from a urine infection.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You do not think herpes though? Never had a sore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to ask question after closing out- just wanted reassurance. As a side note, I have had two negative igg herpselect tests since my last sexual contact over a year ago
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This does not sound like herpes at all.