DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.

Should I take beta super prostate with food or without food?I

Should I take beta super prostate with food or without food?

I am taking high blood pressure medicine (Losartan and metropolol) in the morning. Can I take beta super prostate at the same time?

Does this medicine help to lower cholesterol? should I stop taking my cholesterol medicine (Simvastatin)?

What side effects does beta super prostate have?

Is it harmful to take flomax and as well as beta super prostate?

What is the disadvantage and advantage of having Green light surgery? What is the side effect of the Green light Surgery? If beta super prostate works, is it advisable to do the surgery in order to avoid taking the medicine forever?

I would really appreciate you for taking your time to answer my questions. Thank you!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to help you.

Let me go over your questions in order:

1. Beta super prostate (BSP) has not been tested in any type of controlled clinical study and, as such, the claims made concerning this product can not be confirmed. That being said, you can take BSP with our without food.

2. No study has proven this to be true. As such I would NOT stop taking your cholesterol medication.

3. BSP can cause erectile dysfunction,decrease vitamin absorption and, like anything else, you might be allergic to it.

4. No studies have been conducted on BSP and, as such, it is not know if it harmful to take it with flomax.....

5. This is a well established type of laser surgery for the prostate and, while it works well it, like all surgery, has risks. Here is an excellent web site from a trusted source that discusses this issue in great detail:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prostate-laser-surgery/MY00611

6. I would not trust BSP to work at all and would have to say that all the wonderful things you read about in online amounts to no more then advertising hype. I would not waste your money on it and stick to proven medical therapy as suggest by your urologist.

Whew! That was a lot of questions :) I hope my time and effort has been well spent and you have received the information you need to make an well thought out decision on what to do.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick,
I was not expecting an eye doctor to answer my questions. I was looking for an Urologist for second opinion for the green light surgery. I was saying, even though medicine like flomax works, is it better to go ahead and have the Green light surgery instead taking the medicine for the rest of my life? It is a tall order.

Another question is, after surgery, does the enlargement of the prostate reoccurs again?

The web site you gave me does not have any information. Are there other websites?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I asked questions regarding BPH and was addressed to an urologist and eye doctor answers my questions. The answers he gave me I can find it myself on line, I don't need to pay $58 for that.

I was looking for a second opinion about the Green Light Surgery and its side effects. I was asking even though the flomax medicine is working and effective, since I have to take it for the rest of my life, is it better to go ahead and have the Green light surgery? Is it worth the risk, if there is a risk?

Does the enlargement reoccurs after surgery? If so,is it worth to do the surgery?

What is the data of success in this procedure?

I am looking for an honest opinion from an urologist. Thank you!

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA

Your question has been in urology then was place in medical as well.

In fact I am board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, and have a lot of experience treating prostate enlargement from all angles, including using different surgical procedures only as needed.
I can tell you a lot about beta sitosterol.

I in fact would not get the surgery at this point.

Would you like to continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. Can you elaborate more on why you said not to get surgery at this point?

Can you tell me more about the beta super prostate - beta sitosterol?

Would you please give me a summary reply to my original questions?

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
The green light procedure has all the problems of the regular turp.
There is no specific advantage.
Super beta prostate, to me is a gimmick..ti does not give you enough beta stiaterol, and other ingredients are there, at a cost, that you don't need.

How much are you taking?
Beta sitosterol specificallly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am taking two tablets a day - one in the morning and one in the evening.

602 mg of plant of mixed Sterols providing Beta-Sitosterol 250 mg.

9 minerals -

zinc 15 mg, copper 2 mg, manganese 2 mg, Chromium 120 mcg, molybdenum 75 mg, silicon 10 mg, boron 3 mg, vanadium 1 mg, selenium 70 mcg.

vitamin D 400 I.U,

Dr. Thomas, I would like to ask you again about the surgery. I understand about the legal problems but I just need your honest opinion about the surgery. Please, can you be a little bit specific, is there a long term advantage to it or what are its disadvantages?

Dr. Thomas

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
OK
The surgery might work out just fine.
Disadvantages are the potential for retrograde ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.

Your supplement is not effective.

Beta sitosterol works fairly well in a dose of 400 to 800 mg three times a day, working up as needed. It does lower cholesterol.
There is not a lot of clinical trial study, but small studies have shown this in both instances.

I have used it in my practice for years, and it has worked well for both.

IT can be used with the medication.
I have gotten men off the medication entirely.

The surgery does not cause the complication in the majority of men, but can.

So I do all for the prostate prior to recommending surgery.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience: In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Thomas, do you know any herbal co that sells the dosage between 400 - 800 mg.

I am taking high blood pressure medicine (Losartan and metoprolol). Is it Ok to take BSP at the same time?

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
OK
It's not an herb, but I think capsules will typically be 200 or 300 mg

NOW is the company I use for this.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=now+bet a+sitosterol&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=12968007595&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20487194201338290293&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_9fhegatow8_e

OF course you must be under your doctors supervision.