Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

When I pass urine it only trickles out and I keep pressing

When I pass urine it only trickles out and I keep pressing down to get it all out. I never feel as if I have get rid of it all . If I have to hold because I cant get to the toilet I get terrible pains in my stomach and then when I do get to go nothing comes out unless I push it out.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
HI

Do you have diabetes ?Any medical illness?

Any back problems or back surgeries ?

Do you have constipation?

How long has this been happening ?

Do you leak urine any time when you laugh or sneeze?

Any abdominal surgeries before ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No to diabetes. I have fibromyalgia and suffer upper back pain.

No to constipation.

Have had it for at least 6 months.

I do leak urine quite regularly.

Have had endometrial ablation.

HI

There could be two reasons why this is happening .
First - there is narrowing of the urinary tube which causes this straining and trickling of urine when you force hard enough.

Second is a weak bladder.A weak bladder will not be able to pump out the urine properly and hence how much you try urine will just trickle and with lot of urine left behind.This gives the feeling incomplete emptying.

In your case the blockage of the tube seems more likely as weak bladder is usually seen in nerve problems, diabetes, back problems like pinched nerve etc.Also in nerve problems you don't get pain when you have to hold back urine.
So we may be dealing with a blocked urinary tube which is causing all the problems.

This can happen with hormonal changes(less estrogen as the age progresses) , prior urinary surgery, infections and kinking of the tube due to prolapse(part of the vagina coming out when you strain.

This block if not treated for long time can cause the bladder to fail and make it numb.Also as you have been straining too much while passing urine with out much coming out, this urine from the bladder can go back into the kidney and damage them.

So as if it was just few weeks since it started, it would have been fine.But I am afraid it is almost 6 months with this problem and so you must see your doctor.

Usually they will clinically examine and do a ultrasound scan to rule out bladder and kidney damage.If it is narrowing of the tube then simple dilatation of the tube can be done under local anesthesia and the problem corrected.Sometimes if there is some damage then a catheter has to be put for some time before kidneys recover.

I hope this gives more insight to your problem you are facing and will help you take a decision.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Dr.Tharun

Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.