Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

What could cause testicle pain in left testicle only, radiating

What could cause testicle pain in left testicle only, radiating 20% into lower left abdomen/crevise and 80% in underside left of testicle for 3 months, as follows:

0-1 soreness/pain - when lying down, sleeping, sometimes sitting.
2-3 soreness - when sitting, peeing (muscle soreness only), moving lightly, light bending.
6-8 ache - after nocturnal erections, standing in one spot for 1 hour, vigourous movement with escalated pain lasting about 24-48 hours after the triggering incident, the subsiding somewhat.

I am not sure how this started except perhaps after a week of masturbating more than usual, other than that I had no pain or problems prior to this.
Urine test 3 weeks after aches started was negative.
There is a small cyst like button on lower left underside of testicle, inspected by two doctors who said probably a cyst (it's near tail of epidiymitis)
I have no fever, no major swelling I can see. Was checked for obvious hernias.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am busy with a patient. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

This is most likely pain from nerve irritation of the nerve that supplies the testicle. This is a common problem in men and is a hard problem to treat. The first thing I would recommend is a course of an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen for 1-2 weeks to treat the inflammation that irritates the nerve. Your urologist can also prescribe gabapentin to try to stop the pain in the nerve endings that can lead to this pain as well. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is advil preferable to voltaren cream in that area or aspirin?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Advil is preferable because this actually stop s the inflammation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I was wondering if intermittent torsion is also a possibility with the above profile? For 3 weeks, I have tried to be diligent to prevent any retraction of the testicle (except once a few days ago when I put an ice pack on it for 20 minutes) . However, prior to that it had retracted many times over the last year or two during erections...In any case, the current testicle appears in the scrotum and relatively equal in shape and size to the right one, although slightly bigger. Also, in this "normal" state, I always have some mild pain/soreness, only lying down is it almost zero.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
While intermittent torsion is possible, it is not that likely. But your urologist should do an ultrasound to be sure this is not torsion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could a torsion of a testicular appendage cause this kind of pain for this long and has there been a connection between retracting testicles and torsion of a testicular appendage since it would seem when the testicle retracts that appendage is always the first to get sucked into the pouch?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't think this is torsion of the testicular appendages that only happens in children.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Along the same line, I am observing one other symptom for this 2 month period. When I lift my penis and pull it to the right and hold it, all the pain and soreness including the testicle pain slowly begins to elevate.

I also recall that on several occasions I had strong erections and changed position from sitting or lying down to quickly standing up to go to the bathroom. Can the stress on penis/testicles from this sudden movement cause a muscle or nerve to be upset? does this kind of stress ever heal or does it take a significant amount of time?

would immobilizing the area with a suspensary help in conjunction with advil for a week or two?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Stress on the penis should not cause this pain. The pain that you're describing is probably nerve information leading to the testicle. I would still recommend that you continue with the anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen and you can wear a jock strap if it makes you feel better. Hope this helps and please don't forget to leave a positive rating. Thanks.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For about 6 months, I noticed my left testicle retracting into the groin to the point where it just looked like a lump in the groin. For the last month and a half, I've noticed it just tightens but not retracts at all, looks perfectly visible. What could cause a retracting testicle to suddenly stop this behaviour? Is it a sign of prostatitis or torsion or something else?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
It is perfectly normal for the testicle to not retract and then retract on occasion. This is due to environmental factors such as your surrounding temperature. The testicle typically wants to rise into the body when it is colder and stays further away from the body when it is warmer. There's nothing to be concerned about this.