Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

my husband lawrence huber had a bladder removed because he

my husband lawrence huber had a bladder removed because he had a cancerous size tumor removed fron his bladder. my question is should an internest doctor give a new patient a urine test once a year so his cancer wouold have been small not the size of a tennis ball for them to take his bladder out---early diagnosis-the s the rule for stopping cancer to grow very large
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

No, screening for bladder cancer is not recommended by the American cancer society or any urology Society because bladder cancer is not a common cancer. If we were to screen every person in the world for bladder cancer, we would spend billions of dollars to diagnose only a small number of cancers . If a person has a urine test for other reasons and blood is detected in the urine, then this is when an evaluation for bladder cancer should be performed. Hope this helps.