DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Experience:  womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience

I have been getting back pain which is severe at night and

I have been getting back pain which is severe at night and sending numbness down the outside of my legs. Sudden bouts of urgent gushing incontinence. When I pass urine it seems to come slowly and I have to tip myself forward to empty my bladder. I've seen a physiotherapist who says it isn't a back problem as I have full movement of my spine, legs etc. I do suffer from stress incontinence when I sneeze and cough. No urinary tract infection. Occasional bouts of severe groin pain. This all comes and goes. Any suggestions?
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 4 years ago.
Stress incontinence is one thing. If you have not yet had an MRI of your lumbosacral spine you need one. This type of incontinence with back pain needs an MRI to completely rule out back problem. Next you would need urological bladder studies., this would measure the volume left after urinating and pressure in the bladder. This may help explain the feeling of having to move a certain way to urinate.
Mixed incontinence is common. You may have stress and urge incontinence.
If an MRI with your coverage is not an option then a neurologist would be a good second opinion to get for a neurological aspect to your incontinence.