DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Experience:  womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience
9384716

I have spoken to you on several occasions about my radical

Customer Question

I have spoken to you on several occasions about my radical prostectomy and you have always been able to assist me.
Can you tell me prior to diagnosis knowing that symptoms are not very obvious with Prostate Cancer would/could the cancer have effected me for several years before finding the disease was present in my general life making me tired, lethargic and generally boring and not really be bothered with much at all in life.
When my biopsy was done I had a perfect score of 16 positives from 16 biopsy's taken and a gleeson score of 6.
The reason why I ask is that my wife tells me I became very boring, old in my actions for a 61 years old and now following the operation some 15 months ago my overall demena has changed completely in the opposite direction now that I am well on the way to full recovery.
Yours in anticipation,
Ed Munro,
Healesville,
Victoria,
Australia
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 4 years ago.
There are a couple of possibilities. The positive outcomes may have boosted your serotonin levels enough that if you were slightly depressed before this improved.
More likely also as any immune process like cancer can take a toll on your immune system it can wipe you out. Fatigue, lack of energy, these are sometimes vague symptoms that can lead to a diagnosis of cancer after some blood work or testing is done. As your energy level improves so does your mood and this may slow the acute dementia.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So reading your response is it correct to say that it "may" have a some effect or even a very noticeable effect on me for quite some time or maybe several years before finding out the problem existed I take it considering that Prostate Cancer is very slow moving whilst contained within the Protate.

Cheers,
Ed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So reading your response is it correct to say that it "may" have some effect or even a very noticable effect on me for quite some time or maybe several years before finding out the problem existed I take it considering that Prostate Cancer is very slow moving whilst contained within the Prostate itself.

Cheers Ed
Yes, as it multiplies your immune system tries to destroy the foreign cells and this can cause the fatigue I speak of
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for that information, can you tell me as well why following my radical prostectomy which was done robotically why my penis is now considerably shorter when erect than previous and why have I developed pyronies disease.
I have every faith in the surgeon who perfomed my operation but the after op information is really hard to get.
Thanking you Ed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou for that information, can you tell me as well why following my radical prostectomy which was done robotically why my penis is now considerably shorter when erect than previous and why have I developed pyronies disease.
I have every faith in the sureon who performed the operation but after op information is really hard to get.
Thanking you Ed