Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I am a 61 year old male. My PSA has always been about 1.8

I am a 61 year old male. My PSA has always been about 1.8 to 1.9. My most recent test was 2.9. There has been a lot of controversy lately about PSA numbers and what they mean. Should this be a concern and what steps do I need to take.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 4 years ago.
Hi

What was the time interval between the last two tests(1.9 & 2.9)?

Was a digital rectal exam done ?

Do you have prostate symptoms ?

Please let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a year since the last psa test. I get a blood test every six months for slightly elevated blood sugar. The test results came afer I left the office so I have not had an exam for a year. I have no symptoms that I know of. I have no problems urinating and sleep about 7hrs at night without having to get up to go.
Hello

Thanks for replying.

The PSA level is still less than 4 which is the cut off for the further tests.

Only thing is PSA jump of more than 0.75 in a year should be investigated according to the protocol.But this dictum fails justification when total PSA is less than 4 according to the studies.

You can still wait and watch and repeat the PSA after 6 months or after a course of antibiotics for 6 weeks to see if falls again as PSA often raises in infection which may not be very symptomatic.

Digital rectal exam is important when PSA values are less than 4 .

I hope this helps you

REgards

Dr.Tharun