Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of experience as doctor

Tiny white flakes in urine. What does this mean?

What do tiny white flakes in urine mean?

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just noticed tonight I was doing a urinalysis with those Rapid Response dip sticks on my aunt's urine she has dementia. There was a small amount of protein, but everything else was normal. She doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain.

Thank you for the input.

White flakes can be from a few factors. It can be a mixture of vaginal mucus. Sometimes phosphate crystals can be there. In other cases it can be due to an infection. But you have tested the urine, & there was no infection.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are phosphate crystals? Are they anything to be concerned about?
Phosphate can appear in urine in kidney disease, bone conditions like osteomalacia. High phosphate in food, concentrated urine can also have phosphate. She should try to maintain adequate hydration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She hasn't been drinking as much the last few days cause of leg pain could that be the reason she isn't hydrated enough & this could have caused the white particles?
This can be a factor. She should take adequate fluid.