DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Experience:  womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience
9384716

My 9 year old daughter recently started having total hemeturia.

Customer Question

My 9 year old daughter recently started having total hemeturia. I took her to the ER where a battery of blood tests and urinalysis were done. None of the tests showed any bacterial growth or infection. She has had no pain, fever, sweats, nausea constipation ect has been on no medications and has had no recent illness.
She was given a renal and abdominal ultrasound which showed the left kindey to be irregular in shape, and both kidneys to be moderately dilated and the bladder was irregular in shape with significantly thickened walls.
The pediatrician and consulting urologist are not really telling me much. Should I be worried about kidney or bladder cancer, or MSK?
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 2 years ago.
Not likely a cancer with the pattern of bladder thickening and kidney abnormality and given her age.
Anatomical kidney problems, cystic kidneys, or autoimmune disease can present in this way. More likely the dilated kidney is a result of the bladder problem and a blockage at that level causing the kidney to enlarge . A non infectious cystitis is possible but the only way to know is a cystoscopy which is a look inside the bladder with a pediatric urologist. This and a cat scan of the pelvis and abdomen are like the next step for her
Best of luck
DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Experience: womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The abdominal and renal ultrasound that was performed did not show any obstruction at all anywhere, and her intial urinalysis came back positive for protein and 35+ RBCs without and WBCs, castings or leukocytes.

Is it still safe for her to eat a normal diet or are there things she should avoid altogether that are hard for the kidneys to filter and also is regular activity like P.E. in school still fine. I am a little concerned that she will get knocked over and hit her back.

A CT scan is scheduled already and as for the pediatric urologist I dont know yet.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SO the abdominal renal ultrasound did nt show any blockages anywhere at all, and is it still safe for her to do all the normal things a 9 year old does. Her urinalysis showed 35+RBCs, protien, but no WBCs and no leukocytes or castings.
I am extremly worried that it is a kidney disease, and alos that because she has an identical twin sister that she may have the same problem.
Is it possible that any of this could be related to them being born at 28 wks 5 days, and having TTTS?
I would not have her do heavy activity for now like gym but gulag play okay
With no obstruction then ct will better help rule out masses
With no casts or protein a lot less likely kidney problem or cystic kidneys