Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

what can cause a yeast like smell in the urine, and also what

what can cause a yeast like smell in the urine, and also what harm can it do? and how does one tell if a yeast smell is from a vaginal discharge or urine
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

This yeast like smell can be from a yeast infection of the urine. A vaginal yeast infection typically presents as cottage cheese appearing discharge from the vagina. You typically don't have discharge if this is a urine infection. If you have a yeast infection of the urine, it can spread to the blood stream and make you very sick if it is not treated. You need to see your doctor for a urine culture to see if you need to be started on Diflucan to treat this. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i had gone to a urologist and their was a urinalysis done and he said it was not a yeast infection of the urine,but their was blood cells in the urine. and he also send the urine to a lab for some kind of test to see if it was serious, when i called the office they said to was nothing serious.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
If you have blood in the urine, you need a full evaluation by the urologist. Blood in the urine can be an indication of a urine infection, kidney stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. This is why it is important to get in to see a urologist to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done and cystoscopy to rule out the stones and cancerous causes. While the cancerous causes are not likely, they should not be missed and this is why this evaluation is very important. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am having a cystoscopy in a few weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Perfect. You just need a CT scan to complete the evaluation as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one more question, what kind of sickness can occur if it was a yeast infection? and also during the day i had popcorn and i had a popcorn like smell can that be possible?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
It can cause high fevers and very low blood pressure if left untreated. I have no idea what would cause a popcorn smell other than a urine infection of some sort.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your help