Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

i dont get the urge to urinate until its too late

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

Do you leak when you cough or sneeze it only when you get the urge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont pee when i cough etc. Its like i dont feel i need to pee until my bladder hurts i dont get the urge anymore. Then sometime i get the urge but it is urgent and sometimes i dont make it to the toilet in time. I also cannot urinate in public toilets with other people around its like my bladder freezes and i just cannot go so i have to pretend and wait til no ones around but then i run the risk of wetting myself. I really need support at work. I am a nurse and sometimes have to change. I need to tell someone but am scared and dont know how to tell or what to say
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
This sounds to me like you're having problems with an overactive bladder due to bladder spasms. You don't need to tell anyone about this. If you need support, you should be seeing a doctor to help treat this to give you the proper support you need. Your symptoms can be treated with medications such as oxybutynin to help calm the bladder. You may also need to be referred to a physical therapist you can also provide support to help retrain your pelvic floor muscles as well as her bladder. Your urologist can refer you to this physical therapist. Hope this helps.