Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Doctor: I am having a burning sensation in my inner thighs,

Doctor:

I am having a burning sensation in my inner thighs, and a burning as well as very tight pressure in my anus. The more I sit, the worse the pain gets in my anus.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

This sounds like you may have an infection of your prostate called prostatitis. The prostate sits right on top of the rectum and this is why it can cause pain or pressure in the anus. You need to get in to see your doctor for a prostate exam and a urine culture and you'll need to be started on an antibiotic such as Cipro for 30 days for this. You can take ibuprofen for 1-2 weeks to decrease the pain and inflammation. Your doctor can also prescribe Urelle to stop the pain. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the pain in my inner thighs close to the groin related to this? It feels like it burns / stings.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is from the prostate irritating the nerves that run down the legs as well.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a urine culture and a semen culture, and the urine culture came back clean. I am still waiting for the results of the semen culture - if this is negative, what else can it be?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Then it may possibly be a severe case of hemorrhoids. But I am more suspect of this being inflammation of the prostate.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I don't have anything in my semen, do you recommend I take a 30 day course of Cipro? I want to be able to ask my Dr for other types of treatment if the semen culture is negative.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Even if the semen culture is negative, it still may be worth trying the course of Cipro. But the ibuprofen and Urelle can help the pain tremendously as well.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lastly: At times I feel a soreness in my left testicle as well, I don't know if this is related. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is related to the prostate inflammation sending inflammation to the testicle and irritating its nerve as well.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you much, I appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. I wish you the best.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I want a second opinion, just to make sure. Dr Y did perfectly fine, I just want to see what others think about this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Y:

I am unsure of what to do.. Everything came back clean and my thighs burn / sting. The pressure in my anus just continues to get worse the more I sit, unless I take a hot bath in middle of the day. Both the urine culture and the semen culture were clean - should i be worried about an STD? Herpes?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
If you had a risky sexual contact, then this can be an STD and you should be tested and treated for this with azithromycin and ceftriaxone. These STDs can cause prostatitis. This is not herpes if these are no open sore you can see
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see any open sores, no rashes, no redness, nothing itches.. And it's been over 2 months since sexual contact (was given oral sex without a condom, used a condom for intercourse.)

And again, the urine culture and semen were both clean...

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The likelihood of this being due to a sexually transmitted disease is pretty low. Since they can't find any other cause of your discomfort, then I would recommend that you be tested and treated for STDs. But I still think that your symptoms are consistent with prostatitis.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention, I was tested for Chlaymedia and Ghonoria (sorry for the bad spelling) All were negative as well.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
In this case, this is probably not an STD. You probably just have prostatitis due to an undetected infection. You should be treated with a 30 day course of antibiotics regardless.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will start the cipro and see how I feel.

Should I be taking 800mg every 8 hours of ibuprofin? Can I take it with the cipro?

And after 2 months of not having any sores,rashes, lesions etc.. I shouldn't worry about a herpe infection? (I'm scared that herpes causing prostatits if that's even possible?)
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Should I be taking 800mg every 8 hours of ibuprofen?- Yes

Can I take it with the cipro?- Yes

And after 2 months of not having any sores,rashes, lesions etc.. I shouldn't worry about a herpes infection? - COrrect. You don't have to worry about this.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doc: I've started the Cipro yesterday, and today I am feeling a lot better. I don't have the same pain (as much) in my anus as I did before, and my testicles are not sore. I am taking 500mg Cipro twice a day, and I'm also taking it with 800mg ibuprofin.

I am feeling tingling around my buttocks, groin area, and anal area - sometimes stings, and can itch for a second or two quickly. Is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. All these symptoms you have are consistent with prostatitis. They will get better over time.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even the itching? (don't see anything there)
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The itching is from prostatitis.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I appreciate all your hard work. You seriously deserve an award for putting up with all my crazy questions!

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
That's what I'm here for!
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doc sorry to bother you:

Is there anyway I can receive these sensations in my thigh and buttocks and anal area? Here is what I feel:

1) Constant dull pain in anal region
2) buttocks feel almost numb, or the sensation of numb - like "sleeping foot"
3) my inner thighs have pins and needles, if I move in certain ways they shock me as if I have a cut there
4) occasional stings and shocks to my penis and pelvic region where pubic hair is

I don't know if these are all related? I'm still on the cipro, what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
These sensations are from the inflammation of the nerves that run near the prostate. The best thing to take is ibuprofen 800 mg here times a day for 10-14 days to see if this calms the inflammation down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been doing that, I don't think it helps much and I don't want to over flood my liver with Advil anymore
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Then it may be worth a try of a medication called gabapentin. This medication can help to decrease nerve irritation such as what you are experiencing.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This medication is for nerve damage due to herpes zoster ?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
It is for any type of nerve irritation. Not just herpes
Dr. Y., Urologist