Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

can severe constipation cause a urinary infection? a pain medication

can severe constipation cause a urinary infection? a pain medication caused the constipation and since then i still have urgency and occasional incontinence.i am 50 and have not had a history of this, i do drink alot of water and eat well ,symptoms are less severe now, i am being treated for a work related lower spine problem.any thoughts?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Y :

Hi there, Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

Dr. Y :

Yes, constipation can lead to incomplete bladder emptying and urgency of urination. The incomplete emptying can lead to UTIs. Lower spine problems can lead to retention of urine as well

Dr. Y :

You may need to see a urologist to have an ultrasound of the bladder done to see if you are having trouble emptying the bladder

Dr. Y :

You may need to be taught timed and double voiding where you urinate every 4 hours and then go back to urinate 5 minutes after you finish urinating to completely empty the bladder

Dr. Y :

Hope this helps

Customer:

i recently had an embarrassing incident with a girlfriend,my doctor thinks this is not his problem since i refuse any medications now....my urgency and frequency are not normal, do i need a new doctor?

Customer:

i saw him yesterday and nothing he has done has improved my back problem,now i have this other problem.it going on 6 months

Dr. Y :

Well it sounds to me like this new onset urgency and incontinence is related to a possible infection. The only way to treat an infection is either with 3-4 glasses of cranberry juice per day over 2-3 days or antibiotics. If cranberry juice does not work in 3 days, then you need to take antibiotics to cure this.

Customer:

any brand suggestions?

Dr. Y :

Any brand is fine as long as it is real cranberry juice. There is a cranberry supplement called Cytex that can help as well. You can buy this at Walmart.

Customer:

i can make my own, this has been very frustrating to me,i have lost everything and do have a lawyer.....thank you for your advice

Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.