Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have a prostate infection (prostatitis) which the doctor

Customer Question

I have a prostate infection (prostatitis) which the doctor is saying is "bacterial".

I have lots of pain and inflammation down there.

Is there anything I can take to treat the bacterial infection? My antibiotic is making me so sick.

Thank you!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

The only thing that can treat this bacterial infection is antibiotics. If the one you are taking is making you sick, you need to let your doctor know so they can switch you to another one. The best antibiotics to treat this are Levaquin, Cipro and Bactrim. They should be able to switch you to another one to cure this infection. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Y, I am SO sorry to bother you AGAIN!

I just went back to my GP today, who doesn't seem to knowledgable about Prostatitis. I go back to my Urologist next Friday. But in the meantime, I am looking for a little reassurance.

1. I noted before my Urinalysis showed bacteria 1+, under the microscope. But my urine culture and dipstick, came back negative. Does urine under the microscope usually show bacteria in healthy patients? I thought that because my urine under a microscope, said "bacteria 1+", that meant I had definitely bacterial prostatitis, even though the culture was negative. My GP said just because the microscope came back "bacteria 1+" doesn't mean it's bacterial Prostatitis. He said "bacteria 1+" shows up for many healthy patients. Is that true?

2. My GP said I should have been feeling better by now, but again he doesn't seem to have too much experience with Prostatitis. Keep in mind, I've been on antibiotics for 3-4 weeks. But, I was first on Cipro for 6 days, then Bactrim for 6 days. I had to switch due to side effects. So today is my 10th day of being on Doxy. Is my GP right, should this have cleared with 3 weeks of 3 different antibiotics? Or, do I need to be on the SAME medicine for 3-4 weeks for it clear?

3. If my bloodwork was clear and 2 DRE's both said nothing feels out of the ordinary, besides my Prostate being "inflamed and tender". Is it it possible this is being caused by bladder cancer, urethral cancer, or anything other than Prostatitis?

I am just so scared now after my GP made it sound like this should have gone away by now. Thank you so much for everything. Your the very best and the only who seems to give me logical answers!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
No, you should not normally have bacteria in your urine. But just because you have bacteria in the urine does not mean you have prostatitis. This just could be contamination from your skin or a urinary tract infection. In order to treat prostatitis successfully, you need to be on four continuous weeks of the same antibiotic.

A tender prostate on exam is due to prostatitis and nothing more like cancer of the bladder or even the prostate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You really are the very best Dr. Y, I wouldn't be such a nut case over this if you were my primary doctor. Thank you for everything.

One last thing, I forget to mention. My Urinalysis dipstick test showed trace blood, trace protein and keytones in the urine. Is this normal with Prostatitis or cause for concern?

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for everything!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
These findings are all completely normal in the presence of infection.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Dr. Y,
I need more help. I'll give you a 3rd bonus if you can answer some more questions:

1. I was on Cipro first for 6 days. But it made my arms and legs really weak. Then I was on Bactrim for 6 days and it made my heart race. So now I am on my 11th day of Doxy. Should Doxy be effective in treating this? Is it okay that I am not feeling better yet?

2. It takes me about 20-30-40 seconds to pee. Then it's a weak slow stream. It often feels like I have to pee all the time. But, my symptoms seems to alternate daily. I either feel, swelling or pressure in my bladder area. Or, my urethra burns. Is this normal with Prostatitis?

3. Lately, my penis really hurts. Sometimes it just feels a little inflamed on the inside. Other times it feels like someone squeezed it and it can hurt really bad for hours. Is this also normal with Prostatitis?

4. Sometimes, my penis feels short and hard, while flaccid. It looks like it's trying to be pulled inside my body. Does this happen with Prostatitis?

5. In addition to swelling/pressure in the bladder area, I also have swelling above the pubic bone. Especially around the penis. I don't feel any enlarged lymph nodes, but that whole area feels swollen. Is this okay?

6. Do you think this can be bladder cancer, or urethral cancer? (I had normal bloodwork, painful DRE and normal x-ray)
7. Sometimes (only very occasionally) I have tenderness in the flat area under the testicles and anus. Could this be a hernia, or tumor or something?

8. I use to take a ton of Tums for acid reflux. Could this be some kind of calcification of my prostate, or cysts?

9. I am really thirsty. And my hands are dry. Is this from the Doxy, or infection? (or could it point to something else?)

10. What else can this be? If my prostate was inflamed (it hurt when he did the DRE) is likely I have two things going on? Or do you think this is just Prostatitis, and I need to stop freaking out and relax.

11. One day I was fine. The next day I had a little burning when peeing. The next day, full inflammation and pain. Is that a favorable sign that it's Prostatitis? Would I have had severe symptoms for a long time if it was something else?

12. My penis is red. Especially the tip. Is this normal with Prostatitis?

I just don't feel like I am ever going to get better. I am so scared that it's something other than Prostatitis. I just want to cry. My penis hurts all the time. It feels so inflamed in there. I feel so my pressure and inflammation in my bladder and pelvic area. My urine stream is so slow and weak, and dribbly. It feels like I have to pee all the time. I am just so scared and don't know why I am not getting better.

Thank you for everything.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay as I was in the OR all day.

1. I was on Cipro first for 6 days. But it made my arms and legs really weak. Then I was on Bactrim for 6 days and it made my heart race. So now I am on my 11th day of Doxy. Should Doxy be effective in treating this? Is it okay that I am not feeling better yet?- Yes, doxy can treat this, but Bactrim and Cipro are better. You may not start to feel better until after 2-3 weeks of antibiotics.

2. It takes me about 20-30-40 seconds to pee. Then it's a weak slow stream. It often feels like I have to pee all the time. But, my symptoms seems to alternate daily. I either feel, swelling or pressure in my bladder area. Or, my urethra burns. Is this normal with Prostatitis?- Yes, and in this case, you may need to have a small catheter placed or a suprapubic tube placed to drain the urine out. Failure to drain the urine will lead to persistent infection.

3. Lately, my penis really hurts. Sometimes it just feels a little inflamed on the inside. Other times it feels like someone squeezed it and it can hurt really bad for hours. Is this also normal with Prostatitis?- Yes

4. Sometimes, my penis feels short and hard, while flaccid. It looks like it's trying to be pulled inside my body. Does this happen with Prostatitis?- Yes

5. In addition to swelling/pressure in the bladder area, I also have swelling above the pubic bone. Especially around the penis. I don't feel any enlarged lymph nodes, but that whole area feels swollen. Is this okay? No, this is a possible indication of urinary retention. You may need a catheter placed as I described above.

6. Do you think this can be bladder cancer, or urethral cancer? (I had normal bloodwork, painful DRE and normal x-ray) -No, these are not the case

7. Sometimes (only very occasionally) I have tenderness in the flat area under the testicles and anus. Could this be a hernia, or tumor or something?- No, this is prostatitis

8. I use to take a ton of Tums for acid reflux. Could this be some kind of calcification of my prostate, or cysts?- No

9. I am really thirsty. And my hands are dry. Is this from the Doxy, or infection? (or could it point to something else?)-This is likely from the infection

10. What else can this be? If my prostate was inflamed (it hurt when he did the DRE) is likely I have two things going on? Or do you think this is just Prostatitis, and I need to stop freaking out and relax.- This is prostatitis and you need to try to relax

11. One day I was fine. The next day I had a little burning when peeing. The next day, full inflammation and pain. Is that a favorable sign that it's Prostatitis? Would I have had severe symptoms for a long time if it was something else?- This is prostatitis and nothing else

12. My penis is red. Especially the tip. Is this normal with Prostatitis? Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Agh. Your a life saver. I am going to send you another $30.

Sorry I've been so annoying. This is just so scary when you don't feel good. I haven't worked in a month, because I have to pee so often. Plus, I've let me anxiety get the best of me with this. I just lay here and keep thinking it's something else.

My Uro said I was emptying my bladder. So do you think the swelling in the groin region can just be from the pressure of the bladder? Or general swelling down there? I feel so inflamed on the inside of my pelvic area. Literally when I sit on the toilet, my penis looks like it's half it's size. And half of it looks like it's being recessed into my body. It's so gross. I am too young to feel/look like this down there.

Thank you for everything. You are a champ. And thank you for being patient with me!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
If you are emptying the bladder, then this swelling may just be general swelling. The penis retraction is from the prostatitis and it will resolve when the infection is resolved. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your the best. Bonus coming. I think I have you 2 or 3 other ones. I hope they help make me more tolerable, lol.

Thanks for everything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Dr. Y,
I am the guy with that wicked case of Prostatitis. Thank you for all of your help thus far. I am now on day 16 of Doxy and the last 3 days, I've actually been seen some improvements!

Just wanted to run two things by you:

I didn't masterbate for a week. When I did, my semen was a little yellow, thick and really jelly like. It literally had little balls of jelly in there. (So gross, I know. My semen has always been normal until this).

Since then, I have ejaculated every day. For the last 3 days in a row, it looked the same. Yellowish and had jelly balls in it. Today, it was a little more normal. So I don't know if it's clearing up a little because my Prostatitis is clearing up. Or if it's clearing up because I've been ejaculating more often.

Initially, I was EXCITED because this was more evidence that this was a prostate infection and not something like bladder cancer.

1. I read that jelly like, yellow semen can be caused from infrequent masterbation. I also read it can be from Prostatitis. Do you think my semen was like this because I didn't masterbate for a week, or do you think this is being caused from the Prostatitis? Does that fact that I had my semen appear this way provide further evidence that this is a prostate infection. Or is it just be because I didn't masterbate for a week?

2. When my Uro did the DRE he said my prostate was "inflamed and irratated and that meant prostatitis". Is it possible that I could have bladder cancer and the inflammation from the bladder, made my prostate inflamed, which lead my Uro to believe I have Prostatitis, when in fact, it's not prostatitis and something more severe could be going on?

Thank you for everything!

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
1. I read that jelly like, yellow semen can be caused from infrequent masturbation. I also read it can be from Prostatitis. Do you think my semen was like this because I didn't masturbate for a week, or do you think this is being caused from the Prostatitis? Does that fact that I had my semen appear this way provide further evidence that this is a prostate infection. Or is it just be because I didn't masterbate for a week?-

It really could be from either cause in your case and there is no way to differentiate. But if I had to guess, I would say it is from the prostate infection.

2. When my Uro did the DRE he said my prostate was "inflamed and irritated and that meant prostatitis". Is it possible that I could have bladder cancer and the inflammation from the bladder, made my prostate inflamed, which lead my Uro to believe I have Prostatitis, when in fact, it's not prostatitis and something more severe could be going on?

No, this is prostatitis and nothing more like cancer. You don't need to worry about cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for being the very, very best Dr. Y!

Can not ejaculating for a week, really cause your semen to change that dramatically? It stayed like this for 3-5 days of ejaculating once a day. Yellowish and with those jelly balls.

Today I am feeling better overall and today was the day it was most clear. But, it still had a few of those jelly balls.

I heard that not ejaculating frequently enough could cause this. But it seems more logical, if someone went a month or months without ejaculating. I didn't think a week would cause it to look this way. But I don't know. That's why I come to you!

Thanks bud.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
You are right. It would take 3-4 weeks of not ejaculating to make your semen turn like this. This is why I think this is due to prostatitis instead.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awesome, thanks a million Dr. Y!!!

Also, I sent you a $30 bonus last week. It didn't show up on the thread though like it usually does. Please contact the company if you didn't get it (because they definitely charged me).
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Yes. I do remember getting that bonus last week. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The least I can do for you!

Crap, one last thing Dr. Y while I got you.

I am feeling better (I think)

Before, my penis usually burned all day every day. It was worse when I was urinating. Also, my penis was really shrunken up and really stiff (when flaccid). And, my stream was a lot of dribbling and really, really weak.

For the last 3-4 days, I've had no burning at any time! Not once! Also, my penis has returned to it's normal shape/feeling.

I am still urinating every damn 30 minutes, have a substantial amount of pressure in the lower abdomen and bladder area. It still feels like I have to pee, even if I just did. But my steam is better. Not normal, it's still weak, but it's more normal.

Does this sound like I am getting better to you, or am I just grabbing at straws with wishful thinking?

Today is day 16 on Doxy.

Thanks for everrrrything!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Dr. Y, did you get this. Are these signs that I am actually getting better, or is it just wishful thinking?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. This sounds like you are definitely getting better! I'm happy for you. Good luck!
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Y!!! I hope so!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Dr. Y,
I'll send you another $20 if you don't get made me for asking more questions :)

So I am feeling a little better (only like 20% better). But some days or worse than others.

For a few days now, I have SUCH extreme pressure on bladder area. Additionally, I feel like I have to pee every 20 minutes. I know the frequent urination is typical with Prostatitis. But:

1. Have you had other patients complain of extreme pressure in bladder/groin region? It feels like I have balloon stuck in there sometimes. Yet, I never hear of prostatitis patients complain of this.

2. What is causing this pressure. Is the bladder inflamed from the Prostatitis. OR, is this pressure coming from the Prostate itself?

3. My groin area is pretty swollen. What is causing the swelling? It feels like it's from the pressure in that area. But, literally, my whole pubic area looks swollen. When I sit on the toilet it looks droopy and my penis looks like it's recessing into my body a touch. What is causing this? Is it from inflammation inside the bladder area?

4. Every time I have a urinalysis my Specific Gravity is 1.027-1.030 what causes this? I've been drinking lots.

5. I keep having really mild, but noticeable back pain in my right kidney area. Sometimes in my left kidney area too, but often just the right side. I had blood work and kidney function was fine. I don't have a kidney problem going on thats causing all this do I? It's not severe pain. Just dull/achy at times. This whole started with my penis burning (which has now faded a little) so I didn't press my Uro to pay too much attention to my kidneys.

6. If I had calcifications or cysts in my prostate, would my Uro have felt this when he did two DRE's? Could this be why I am not getting better? It will have been almost 4 weeks of Doxy in a few days.

Thanks Dr. Y! Like I said, I'll shoot you over another $20. I know I am being super annoying and you've been nothing short of fantastic! I am just super concerned over this. My symptoms are 24-7 so I just sit here dwelling on all this all the time. It's miserable. I can't wait to be normal again (if that will ever happens).
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
1. Have you had other patients complain of extreme pressure in bladder/groin region? It feels like I have balloon stuck in there sometimes. Yet, I never hear of prostatitis patients complain of this.- Yes, this type of pain is actually very common with prostatitis.

2. What is causing this pressure. Is the bladder inflamed from the Prostatitis. OR, is this pressure coming from the Prostate itself?- The pressure is from the swollen prostate itself.

3. My groin area is pretty swollen. What is causing the swelling? It feels like it's from the pressure in that area. But, literally, my whole pubic area looks swollen. When I sit on the toilet it looks droopy and my penis looks like it's recessing into my body a touch. What is causing this? Is it from inflammation inside the bladder area?- The is from the inflammation of the prostate. You could also be having problems with retention of urine so your urologist needs to rule this out with a bladder ultrasound.

4. Every time I have a urinalysis my Specific Gravity is 1.027-1.030 what causes this? I've been drinking lots.- This may be from persistent dehydration. The infection can also raise the specific gravity of the urine as well.

5. I keep having really mild, but noticeable back pain in my right kidney area. Sometimes in my left kidney area too, but often just the right side. I had blood work and kidney function was fine. I don't have a kidney problem going on thats causing all this do I? It's not severe pain. Just dull/achy at times. This whole started with my penis burning (which has now faded a little) so I didn't press my Uro to pay too much attention to my kidneys.- This is likely not a kidney problem, but if you have pain there, your doctor may want to do an ultrasound of the kidneys to be sure.

6. If I had calcifications or cysts in my prostate, would my Uro have felt this when he did two DRE's? - No, these cannot be felt on exam. They can only be seen on ultrasound or CT scan.

Could this be why I am not getting better? It will have been almost 4 weeks of Doxy in a few days.- The presence of prostate stones can be the cause of persistent prostatitis. If you have this, they may need to be surgically removed with a TURP procedure.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Y! $20 on it way!

PS. I had a bladder scan and he said I wasn't retaining urine. So that's good at least. My God, I hope it's not stones or calcifcations. Yikes.

Thanks for everything!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck!