Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Experience:  Board Certified in Urology, Fellowship trained

I have a nagging burning sensation in my penis and groin area.

I have a nagging burning sensation in my penis and groin area. I've had tests conducted by my Dr. which proved that it is not a STD. I also revealed to him about the blood in my semen, and about the recent increase in frequency of urination throughout the day and night.
To which he surmised that it must be prostatitis..resulting in him prescribing me ciprofloxacin 500mg (21 tabs).
I've finished treatment over 11 days..but the pain presist.
Are there any other treatments which I can recommend to him to try which may be more effective?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Urologist,M.D. replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,
Please be patient, as I may be in the operating room, with a patient, or driving but will get back to you ASAP.

I agree that this is likely prostatitis. There are 3 antibiotics that work well for this. Cipro, bactrim, and doxycycline. You want to do one month of these. If after one month of Cipro, and it does not work, then I would Ty one month of bactrim. Sometimes you need to be on 3 different antibiotics before this is treated well. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've read that bactrim is associated with Stevens Johnson Syndrome.

Should this preclude the usage of bactrim?

Stevens Johnson is very rare and I would only worry about it if you have had a previous reaction with bactrim.